Complaint Review: AOL

aol.com Nationwide U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-2753609
  • Web:
  • Category: Internet

America On Line AOL Failure to cancel and improper use of collection agency Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Fair Credit Reporting Act

AOL has a long established history of billing practices which are at least a nuisance when they refuse to discontinue service even though there is no long term contract involved. They go beyond a nuisance however when they employ a collection agency for $23.90 and adversely impact my credit rating. I am now claiming economic harm and wish to join a class action suit. If there is not one in progress then I want to start one.

I was an AOL customer for over 5 years. When I upgraded to broadband I no longer required AOL services. I cancelled in writing. I canceled on the phone. I cancelled via the AOL service. AOL refused to quit billing my credit card. I refuted the charges with my credit card in writing. Even though I had my credit card account for over 15 years I had to cancel it because of AOL. Eventually the credit card agency seemed to win because I stopped getting notice of charges by AOL on my now cancelled credit card account.

However it seems I was overly optimistic. After over a year of not using AOL and not receiving a notice of charges by AOL, I got a letter from a collection agency claiming I owe AOL $23.90. Now my credit rating may be affected.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to join in a class action suit specific to billing practices by AOL. Contact me by e mail with the subject of AOL Law Suit

Kris.wilson@cox.net

Kris
Ft Walton, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2005 07:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AOL/nationwide/America-On-Line-AOL-Failure-to-cancel-and-improper-use-of-collection-agency-Internet-132898. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AOL

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Fair Credit Reporting Act

AUTHOR: Doc - (U.S.A.)

Qoute the Fair Debt and Credit Act of 1991, to the collection agency next time they call. ALso get their postal address and send them a drop dead letter, about this. For $23 there will not be any big impact to your credit. And if they try, you can sue them for slander of your credit. Many of these big isps, like aol and earthlink and others pull this nonsense. FIGHT BACK.