Complaint Review: AP9 Connections, Connections123, Vertrue, Inc.

• Submitted: Sat, June 13, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, June 13, 2009

• Reported By:Atlanta Georgia
AP9 Connections, Connections123, Vertrue, Inc.
9500 W Dodge Rd Omaha, Nebraska U.S.A.

AP9 Connections, Connections123, Vertrue, Inc. pop-up window Internet Scam! Omaha Nebraska

In June 2009 I was perusing my credit card statement when I noticed a funny charge for $18.95 to "AP9 Connections". I soon realized that every statement dating back 4.5 years had a charge from this company. I know I'm obviously super unobservant, but I also know I did not sign up for anything from this company and certainly wouldn't agree to a monthly fee (especially one that went up by $2-$3/month each year!).

Next I called the toll free number on my statement and quickly asked the rep on the other end who "Connections" was and why they were taking money from me. They said I clicked on a pop-up on the Travelocity website and signed up for their services. These so-called services are supposedly discounts on entertainment and dining out. What in the world is she talking about?!

First of all, I would NEVER click on an pop-up window. Secondly I wouldn't give any of my credit card information in a pop-up balloon. Thirdly, there's no way on earth I'd sign up for any monthly fee service like this- it's got SCAM written all over it.

At this point I'm furious and I tell them I'm calling Travelocity (since I've been a valued customer of theirs for nearly 9 years). She quickly told me not to do that and she'd cancel my membership and give me 1 months fees back. HA! One month! They stole a total of over $750 and she's offering me $18.95. I hung up.

I talked to Travelocity and they say they've never heard of the company and are not affiliated with them in any way. I talk to my credit card people and they say they haven't heard of this scam, but the most I could hope to get back is the last 6 months of charges (seriously?!).

Finally I did a Google search to see if others were scammed by "Connections"... sure enough they were. Stories just like mine were all over the internet.

After 3 calls and letting the Connections people know I've contacted my credit card and Travelocity they finally read me all of the charges they've given me since November 2004- month-by-month and agreed to have it all credited back to my card in 2-3 business days. And it was there in the time promised. Still she would give me no confirmation number, only her first name and employee ID #. What a sick, sad institution. They trick people and steal money. There's no other words for it. And if you complain enough they'll give it back so you have no real case against them.

The worst thing is that apparently this is a legal business tactic known as a "negative-option plan" according to a Seattle Times article on scams including Connections.

The moral is CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS CAREFULLY and FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT to get your money back if this happens to you.

I never clicked on that pop-up balloon and certainly never game them my credit card info (nor my email, phone, or address that they also had), but how can I prove that? It's a total scam and they know it!!!!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2009 04:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AP9-Connections-Connections123-Vertrue-Inc/Omaha-Nebraska-68114/AP9-Connections-Connections123-Vertrue-Inc-pop-up-window-Internet-Scam-Omaha-Nebraska-461463. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AP9 Connections, Connections123, Vertrue, Inc.