Complaint Review: ARA Inc. - Asset Recovery Associates

• Updated: Tue, February 09, 2010

• Reported By: Sully — San ANTONIO Texas United States of America
ARA Inc. - Asset Recovery Associates
PO BOX 4009 Internet United States of America

ARA Inc. - Asset Recovery Associates ARA Wants me to pay a Bill My husband charged Internet

*Consumer Comment: Tim is correct

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like you are responsible for this debt

I got a letter from ARA Inc.  I called them up to tell them my husband used my credit card, they start asking me stupid questions like did I have a prenuptual.

I'm not a millionaire, I told them no I dont, I shouldnt have to pay this bill.  They say I do?????  If I didnt create the charges why shold I pay???

My husband used the card, he promised he would pay, why dont they go after him???  They told me his name is not on the card, so what, he charged on it, I am not paying,,,,

(((ROR redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2010 09:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ARA-Inc-Asset-Recovery-Associates/internet/ARA-Inc-Asset-Recovery-Associates-ARA-Wants-me-to-pay-a-Bill-My-husband-charged-Intern-563791. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ARA Inc. - Asset Recovery Associates

Tim is correct

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"If I didnt create the charges why shold I pay??? My husband used the card, he promised he would pay, why dont they go after him???"

This is your card.  Who else would they go after?  Your husband didn't promise the credit card company he would pay, he promised you.  YOU were the one who promised the credit card company that you would pay charges on the card.   Bottom line is that you allowed your husband to charge on your credit card and you have to pay the card bill according to the agreement you have with the issuing bank.

Hopefully, you'll be able to recover the money from your husband.

Sounds like you are responsible for this debt

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like this debt IS your responsibility.

You stated "My husband used the card, he promised he would pay." You also stated that his name is not on the card.

When you state "he promised he would pay," I'm assuming you mean that he promised YOU that he would pay. So basically, what you did, was allow your husband the use of your credit. In doing so, you guaranteed his debt, in the same way that a co-signer guarantees a debt, and is held accountable if the primary debtor doesn't pay.

So as between you and ARA, you DO owe the debt. In fact, ARA has NO legal right to collect from your husband. As far as the law is concerned, he doesn't owe them anything.

What you can enforce is the agreement between you and your husband, but this has nothing to do with ARA. If he won't voluntarily pay up you have a couple of options.

First, you could sue your husband for the money owed. The law may actually require that you pay the debt first and THEN go after your husband for recoupment (you may actually be able to sue him for any damage to your credit as well).

Second, if ARA or anyone else sues you for this debt, you can do a complicated legal maneuver called "impleading." Basically, this would involve bringing your husband into the case against you as a "third party defendant." You would be stating and trying to show that, if YOU owe this money to ARA, then YOUR HUSBAND owes the same amount to you.

I hope you can get this all worked out, and please correct me if I got the details wrong.