Complaint Review: ARA, Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, October 02, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, October 22, 2012

• Reported By: Teresa — Beacon New York United States of America
ARA, Inc.
PO Box 5002 Villa Park, Illinois United States of America

ARA, Inc. They contacted me at work and told me I owed a debt from 1995. Also said the Statue of Limitation in NY is 15 years for revolving accounts - wanted money and threaten to sue! Villa Park, Illinois

*Author of original report: They called again at my office!

*Consumer Comment: How to deal with these collectors

*Author of original report: Called again at my Job

I received a call at my place of business today.   They said I have a debt from 1995 and last payment was 2002.  I owed over $4,000 but will bring it down to $2,000.  I explained that it was paid off and they said it wasn't.  I explained the statute of limitation is 6 years in NY and why haven't they contact me?  I have been in the same address for 12 years.  They said the statute of limitation in NY for revolving accounts is 15 years.  I just looked it up and it isn't; it is 6 years.    They couldn't provide who paid the bill in 2002.  A Paul Reiser said that I have until tomorrow to call or I will be summoned to court.

First they called me at work.  This is, I believe, against the law.  On top of it, they cannot show proof of the bill.

To top it off, they used my old married name and was divorced in 1997.  So, why didn't they have their information updated?

BTW, it was for a Lechmere credit card.  Lechmere closed in 1997.

BEWARE with this Company.  They are looking for $$$$$.  Do not fall for this awful company.  FRAUD!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/02/2012 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ARA-Inc/Villa-Park-Illinois-60181/ARA-Inc-They-contacted-me-at-work-and-told-me-I-owed-a-debt-from-1995-Also-said-the-St-949844. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ARA, Inc.

They called again at my office!

AUTHOR: Teresa - (USA)

First, I want to thank you so very much for your response!  The guy called here again at my office and my assistant told him not to call here anymore that it is against law!  She said he was rude and nasty to her on the phone and wanted her to confirm that I am employed.  She said no and he hung up the phone with her.  I am putting together the letter you requested.  I will keep you posted!

Thank you so much for your help!

Teresa

How to deal with these collectors

AUTHOR: Tagurit - (USA)

Theresa - good for you on doing your homework on the statute of limitations SOL

Whatever you do, do not make any payments or you re-start the clock on this.

Write them a letter - certified return/reciept - stating this debt is in fact past the SOL and they have been unable to prove this
debt still exists or that you owe anything.   Tell them  if they call you again or attempt to obtain a judgement against you that you will sue them under the provisions of the FDCPA.

Some of these bottom feeders that buy old debt will play games and see if they can place a default judgement against you.  To do this, they must make you aware of any court dates, etc.  Don't ignore any summons if you get one.   Show up, show the debt is past the SOL and that they have been unable to provide any proof that you owe the debt or that it is not paid.  Stay on top of your credit file to make sure they don't try to sneak something in.

Good luck.  Post an update and let us know what happens.

Called again at my Job

AUTHOR: Teresa - (USA)

I walked in this morning and found they called me at the office again.  He left me a message.  I did some investigation and the statute of limitation for NY is 6 years.  The message was urgent as per him.  I am starting to get concerns.  I had told him NOT to contact me at work and now causing problems.  What am I to do? This all happened in 1995.  He said I made a payment in 2002 but if this is true, I would have continued to make payments until it is paid off.  It's been 10 years now from 2002 and over 17 years from 1995.  Why don't they leave me alone?