Complaint Review: ARS Rescue Rooter, Marietta

• Updated: Thu, November 29, 2012

• Reported By: Robert — DOUGLASVILLE Georgia United States of America
ARS Rescue Rooter, Marietta
2171 Kingston Ct., Marietta, Georgia United States of America

ARS Rescue Rooter, Marietta With an American Home Shield warranty Rescue Rooter wanted to charge me $858.00 just to "bring my water heater up install up to code" Marietta, Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: Was He Even A Real Plumber

*Author of original report: Dishonest or Untrained

*UPDATE Employee: ARS Rescue Rooter

*Consumer Suggestion: Here's A Simple Rule

The water heater tank broke in a rental home I own. Since I have warranty through American Home Shield I called to schedule service. All went well but when the tech arrived he spent 1 minute looking at the water heater and stated he did not have a tank on his truck and without any further comment he went back to his truck. After 20 minutes he emerged from his truck and said,"you have several code violations which I must correct during installation of a new water tank".

I asked, "how much is my charge since I have American Home Shield warranty". He said they did not cover more than $250.00 for code violations and that I would have to pay out of pocket $858.00. I said I just paid to have a new water heater put into my personal home and the total was only $750.00 tank and all. He responded, "that's our price if you want it done". Total cost for code violations over $1100.00.

For example his charge for an expansion tank $295.00, Metal stand for tank $300.00, permit $105.00, Fittings $118.00. I later found out that the metal stand is not required anymore due to the updated design of the water tanks with sealed burners and that the fittings come with a new tank.

I tried to communicate with the owner of this franchise (Kathy) but she immediately became defensive when I said the prices were more than excessive. As an appliance technician and also the owner of an appliance repair company even I was in shock when I heard these prices. As a contractor for warranty companies myself I find the pricing of this company and the attitude to be far from professional and certainly  "RIP Off" pricing.

I did ask the plumber if he ever went into a home with a warranty that he didn't find code violations. He wouldn't answer my question but simply said I was wasting my money with a warranty company.

Robert

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/27/2012 05:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ARS-Rescue-Rooter-Marietta/Marietta-Georgia-30067/ARS-Rescue-Rooter-Marietta-With-an-American-Home-Shield-warranty-Rescue-Rooter-wanted-to-974645. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ARS Rescue Rooter, Marietta

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Was He Even A Real Plumber

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

You have to wonder if this guy was even a licensed plumber. The fact he had to go to his truck for 20 minutes tells me that he needed to call in to his manager for instructions on cranking the bill up. Give your business to a local licensed master plumber who actually cares about his customers, his quality and his reputation.

Dishonest or Untrained

AUTHOR: Robert - (United States of America)

Either this employee was simply dishonest or badly trained with respect to codes. After reviewing this with the county codes building official it has been determined that my water heater installation was up to code with possible exception of thermal tank. Tech said I needed a metal stand for $290.00 ( 25.00 at sales counter) and a thermal tank for $315.00 ($20.00 at sales counter). (Iwon't dispute the tank as manufacturers may require for warranty reasons.

I hired a reputable plumbing company who has already installed a RHEEM 40 gal. water heater for $850.00 with a 6 year warranty; cheaper not using my warranty companies selection for the repair Rescue Rooter. With my home warranty I was going to have to pay you guys $859.00 out of pocket just for un-needed or over priced upgrades that per the tech American Home Shield did not cover.

ARS Rescue Rooter

AUTHOR: ARS Rescue Rooter - (United States of America)

ARS is the premier provider of heating, air conditioning, indoor air quality, plumbing, drain cleaning, and sewer line services to homes and businesses. While current marketplace trends determine our pricing structure to continue providing exceptional service, please contact us at (866) 803-0879 to discuss your specific situation.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Here's A Simple Rule

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

If the companys name has the word 'Rooter' anywhere in it, avoid it. You'll be glad you did.