Complaint Review: ASF International - Fitworks Fitness Centers

• Submitted: Thu, January 18, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, January 19, 2007

• Reported By:Euclid Ohio
ASF International - Fitworks Fitness Centers
640 Plaza Drive, Suite 300 Highlands Ranch, Colorado U.S.A.

ASF International - Fitworks Fitness Centers Ripoff fraudulent billing company Highlands Ranch Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Buyer Beware....

I signed up for a one year contract with Fitworks Fitness Centers in Willoughby Ohio. The associate that worked with me was Mike Vara, he is no longer employed with the company. I paid the contract in full.
The contract expired in October of 2006 and since then I have been recieveing past due bills from ASF International.

When I called to find out why I was being billed, they said that I was past due on my fees for Fitworks.
I never recieved a renewal contract, and my sales associate never mentioned anything about an automatic renewal clause in my contract.

The operator at AFS claimed that a notice was sent to my home, but was returned. I told her that the address that they had from Fitworks was incorrect. She told me that was not her problem. I asked why I had not been contacted by phone, since my phone number is on my contract and I have recieved phone calls from the company about the past due fees. She had no answer.
I had my lawyer phone Fitworks and he spoke to a very nice man named Mike who gave my lawyer the number to the manager. He left several messages and never recieved a call back.

Recently, ASF mailed to me a copy of my contract with Fitworks. The front of the contract was filled out, not by me, but by the sales associate that no longer is employed by Fitworks. On the front of the contract is does state that there is automatic renewal and my lovely sales associate filled in a date and amount, but failed to inform me of such a renewal.

Also, on the contract is a space to provide an account number so that when the renewal takes place, ASF can automatically debit the account. There is nothing filled in this area except a big "Paid in Full" across the entire box. Fortunately the sales associate did not fill in my account information, probably because he knew that I would be billed after the automatic renewal.
I find it disgusting that companies like Fitworks and ASF continue to swindle customers. The company should inform their sales associates better and give proper notice to customers of renewals.

Katie
Euclid, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2007 09:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ASF-International-Fitworks-Fitness-Centers/Highlands-Ranch-Colorado-80129/ASF-International-Fitworks-Fitness-Centers-Ripoff-fraudulent-billing-company-Highlands-R-231220. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ASF International - Fitworks Fitness Centers

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Buyer Beware....

AUTHOR: Fawn - (U.S.A.)

I too have had quite a few issues with a gym membership and have submitted my complaint on this forum about Body of Change. While I feel your frustration, you should have read the contract. I'm sorry to say that this is completely your responsibility - not the associate - to understand what you are signing.

Good luck.