Complaint Review: ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY - ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL

• Submitted: Tue, January 08, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, August 08, 2008

• Reported By:arden North Carolina
ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY - ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL
1318 Eliada Home Road ASHEVILLE, North Carolina U.S.A.

ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY - ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL OWNER/DIRECTOR ABUSES THE CHILDREN ASHEVILLE North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Update

*Consumer Comment: Concerned

*Consumer Comment: I know the Aunt of the Hurt 2 year old

*Author of original report: IN RESPONSE TO "STOP BAD MOUTHING"

*Consumer Comment: stop bad mouthing good people

*Consumer Comment: Can These Stories Be True?

*Author of original report: I HOPE AND PRAY!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Soooo Funny

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: don't believe everything that you read......

*Consumer Comment: Why is this an issue now and why weren't parents told about this earlier???

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I BELIEVE THIS!

*Author of original report: UPDATE!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: True True True

*Author of original report: PLEASE READ THE FULL REPORT!

*Consumer Comment: I do not believe this report.

*Consumer Comment: Why?

I am a former employee at this child care center. I left there because the owner/director is abusive to the children as well as the employees.

I have witnessed first hand her physically pulling, slamming, grabbing, & jerking the children at various times. Just yesterday she took a child by the jaw line picked him up and slammed him on his bed, and said "don't you move!" You could here the child screaming throughout the entire center.

A second occasion that I have witnessed is on Jan. 4, 2008 a child that has a hard time settling at nap time, so the director/owner pushed her down on her mat and held her down and said "don't move a mussle." Well as the child laid there for a while she stated to me that she needed to go to the bathroom. I let her up to go to the bathroom and the director grabbed her by the arm and slammed her once again and told her she's not going to the bathroom and not to move. And then she looks at me and said "don't let them control you". Well none the less the child had an accident like I knew she would. I don't think that making a child or adult refrain from going to the bathroom is any form of punishment, it is just mean and neglect.

I have also witnessed other occasions of this woman doing physically abusive to these children.

She is also very abusive to the employees! She just slammed a chair at me today!

If you live in asheville please don't send your child to this center!
Also if you need a job don't go to this lady!

Kristdra
arden, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2008 07:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ASHEVILLE-COUNTRY-DAY-ASHEVILLE-COUNTRY-DAY-SCHOOL/ASHEVILLE-North-Carolina-28806/ASHEVILLE-COUNTRY-DAY-ASHEVILLE-COUNTRY-DAY-ASHEVILLE-COUNTRY-DAY-SCHOOL-OWNERDIRECTOR-298254. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY - ASHEVILLE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL

Update

AUTHOR: Mom - (U.S.A.)

Just to let all know you should be concerned about having your child under her care. 1 allegation is too many when it comes to someone watching and caring for my child. When you choose to place your child somewhere....you shouldn't do it because the price is right!!! You should do what is in the best intrest of your child. I feel sorry for the parents that do not know about this and how in the dark this woman keeps her past. I know of many child care facilities that have been in business 10 times longer then she has and don't have but maybe 1 incident on their file. Not allegation! 2 kids with 2 broken bones, no medical attention to either child? Why do you even question? The truth will be known to all very soon!

Concerned

AUTHOR: Concerned - (U.S.A.)

Can someone please tell me what is going on with these allegations at this time? I have oddly found NOTHING anywhere on the internet past March 16th to show resolution, good or bad. I am a parent...with some concerns. The daily workers SEEM to care, my child SEEMS happy.

I know the Aunt of the Hurt 2 year old

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I assume all of these reports started because of the 2 year old little boy that was hurt at this facility. I work (actually I am the Assistant Manager) of the Aunt of this little boy. She came to me last week ( I guess it was...) and told me that her newphew was hurt at his day care. She said they waited 30 minutes to call his mother, and when she got there he was unconscious with his eyes rolled back in his head (because he was in so much pain). His whole leg from his hip down is broken. and (I think) he had a few more broken bones also.

Anyway....They told his mother that he tripped! One: A 2 year old does not break his whole leg by tripping over his own feet or anything for that matter. They later found out that he fell down stairs...and the way the break looks, it looks like a lot of stairs!! Who was watching this kid??? Noone!!! After all the complaints, it looks like this facility will probably get shut down. I hope the mother of this little boy sues! Anyway...just wanted to put my two sense in. And maybe tell a 2nd parties side of the story...

IN RESPONSE TO "STOP BAD MOUTHING"

AUTHOR: Kristdra - (U.S.A.)

After hearing what happned to the child at the Fox Glen location how can you say that these are all lies?! I just hope you really do have that much faith in Merenda because I would let my dog go to any center that she runs. I have never been to the Fox Glen location but I did work at the Leicester location and I know what I saw. Yes the center does have wonderful teachers but they have no controll over what Merenda does! I just wish people would call their local authorties and do some research before calling someone a bunch of liars!!

stop bad mouthing good people

AUTHOR: Liar Hater - (U.S.A.)

I am a mother of a child at the new center in Fox Glen. I would like to say that I have been nothing but pleased with the care my son is recieving. His teachers and the director, and assitant director are GREAT!!!! My son is going thru a rough time right now wanting to listen, and the staff there has been nothing but supportive and helpful. I am really displeased anyone could accuse these wonderful people of such horrible things! My advise to anyone looking for a center for their children, go to this place where your children would be loved as much as mine has been. To Miranda, Keep your head up, the truth will provail. Good people always come out on top.

Can These Stories Be True?

AUTHOR: Pvtlowdown - (U.S.A.)

As a parent of a child that attends this pre school I was not concerned about the previous reports. I wrote them off as former employees trying to make trouble for their former employer. But now I am having second thoughts, today I was informed by a friend of mine that also has a child that attends the center that is located in Fletcher that there was another child that was seriously injured while under the care of the OWNER/DIRECTOR personally. I was also informed that DSS and the polices were there when she picked up her child. Maybe we should all stop and think about the allegations that were previously made against the owner, they just might be true.

I HOPE AND PRAY!

AUTHOR: Kristdra - (U.S.A.)

First off I would like to let everyone know that I was not fired or let go by Meranda! I quit as a matter of fact the day I quit and I told Meranda she tried to get me to stay as part time! And when I said no she asked me to stay until her star ratings were over with! If I was such a "bad teacher" why would I be asked to stay at all? Also yes she does claim to use "positive behavior reinforcement" that does not consist of slamming, pulling, yelling & all of the other ways you choose to what you call "control" those children. I will swear to the day I die that what I have reported on here as well as to DSS that it is true! I am very willing to even testify in court! If I were upset with the owner I would not use something this serious to retaliate, I am a little more mature than that!

And as far as these things being made up Meranda why oh why are more and more ex-teachers and current teachers coming forward with the same stories? I don't even know who these people are! I wish I did though so that I could shake their hand for being brave and coming forward! I would have reported any center if I had seen these things going on! And as far as you putting my name on your response I DON'T CARE THAT YOU KNOW WHO I AM! As a matter of fact I'm glad you know! And I will put my e-mail address out there as well so that if anyone wants to talk to me and know the truth they can!

Also if any of you teachers that have come forward want this to get out there even further please call News 13 and tell them your story! These parent's really need to know what is going on with their children! So once again I ask that you please take these reports seriously! If you still have your doubts and think this is just upset ex-employees please call DSS and ask how many reports prior to mine with the same or very similar reports that they have.

Also I would like to thank you Meranda for the grammar lesson! But I am very aware that when you use hear in the sense of hearing that you spell it hear! Have you ever heard the word typo? Anyway that should be the very least of your concerns right now!

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Soooo Funny

AUTHOR: Barney123 - (U.S.A.)

Merinda says that she fires all these people.....she said she fired me and like 3 other people around the same time I left. Its so weird though because I remember us just not coming back to work. Which means I decided to stop working there and that I was not fired. She says that the reason why these things are being said about her business is because they are mad about loosing their jobs. Truth is the few short months I worked there, I saw at least 9 co-workers leave the center, and that is just one center. She thinks that we are saying stuff because we have no life, but truely im suprised no one has done this before now.

#9 REBUTTAL Owner of company

don't believe everything that you read......

AUTHOR: Merinda - (U.S.A.)

I just have to say one thing about the people who are saying negative things about me and by business. Get a life.
I love every child that has been in our care. I teach my teachers to use positive behavior techniques and the ones who do are very successful in their classrooms. The ones who don't.... don't work for me anymore. I have loved many of the teachers who have worked for me. I have had good teachers and bad teachers. Luckily, I have the sense to get rid of the bad ones and these comments are the result of that. If you have direct questions for me, you can contact me at mcutshaw6116@aol.com.
kristi, i have to let you know that when you are using the word hear referring to the sense of hearing it is spelled "hear" and not "here".

Why is this an issue now and why weren't parents told about this earlier???

AUTHOR: Acd Mommy - (U.S.A.)

Maybe I missed it-which location is all of this happening? I know where the collarbone incident was-but were they all in Asheville or the new location?
Secondly-my child has attended there for 3 years and in that time he has had no less than 30 teachers. They come through with such fluidity that I don't even get introduced to them anymore-because they leave the second day they are there. I have witnessed the teachers getting yelled at and talked down to-but never the children-but then again I come at the same time every day and don't get to see the bulk of what happens during class time. There have been some WONDERFUL teachers that have left there for one main reason-Merinda.

I have complaints of course, because "no one does it like Mommy", but I had a hard time believing the complaints. Now I have to rethink that...which is better for my child-consistency in care and not changing the routine-or a new place with new things to learn and new friends to make. It's hard as a parent-but I definately MUST do what's best for my child and stand up for him when he can't stand up for himself.

#11 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I BELIEVE THIS!

AUTHOR: Miranda - (U.S.A.)

As a former employee, I know first hand that the owner of this center can be extremely hurtful to the employees and to the children. I only worked for this woman for 4 months and in that short time I knew I could not work there any longer. I was there as they were told to "DRY IT UP" while they cried and we where told we were NOT to hold them or comfort them. Also, she would put them forcefully on their mats and make them stay there. At least until one of the parents came in and she was all over that child loving it and making sure it would stop crying.

The main reason I left however is when she demanded that my son, who had a 103.4 fever be brought to work anyway and placed on a mat inside the kitchen so that he would not contaminate any of the other children. After I was pretty much told to either come in with him or not at all, I quit.

While working there I saw many employees screamed at and told they could do nothing right. there was also a child, who was in the class room and under the supervision of this owner/director, fall down and break her collar bone, so as she laid and cried all day and through nap the director/pwner told her to dry it up and later her mother picked her up and discovered something more serious was wrong.

Is this the type of woman you want to have over your children?

UPDATE!

AUTHOR: Kristdra - (U.S.A.)

I have already posted this many times. I have reported this to the proper authorities! Any one that needs to know to investigate has been contacted! Thanks

#13 UPDATE EX-employee responds

True True True

AUTHOR: Barney123 - (U.S.A.)

I am an ex-employee of this facility and it is very sad to say that I do believe what this person is saying. I have seen things such as this myself and heard many stories when I did work there. I have also seen the owner saying such things as "do not move" or "I don't want to see you move off your mat" to children. I feel very sorry for any parent that has a child here. Please listen to these comments and do not let your child attend this place!

PLEASE READ THE FULL REPORT!

AUTHOR: Kristdra - (U.S.A.)

First off, if you read the report and paid attention to it I clearly state that I have reported this to the proper authorities! I'm not stupid! Also you obviously don't talk to all the parents because it's not every child that is receiving this treatment. It is the one's that she does not want to take the extra time and sit with them to help them settle!
Also if I were upset with the owner I would not make up these "accusations" as you state! And why are parents taking their children out as fast as they can? And why are people that have been employeed there for many years just up and QUIT?!

Obviously there is a problem. And their have been many reports of this situation sent to the proper authorties. I just want to get this out here and let parents know because I would want to know if I were a parent looking for a child care center!

And futhermore the local news was contated by a parent whos child has been abused and their child let them know of everything that has been done to them!

ONCE AGAIN I DID REPORT THIS MATTER TO ALL THE PROPER AUTHORITIES! AND IT WAS DONE IMMEDIATLY! THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

I do not believe this report.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I do not believe this report. I have a child that attends a day care owned by the individual being reported. I have never had any problems with the day care owner or other employee at the facility. They are very professional and kind. My child loves the teachers and has never reported any type of abuse to me. My child can verbalize abuse and I do ask questions. I personally know a few of the parents that have kids in this day care, and I've never heard any negative feedback from them.

I know other individuals who have known the owner of this day care for many years, and again, I've heard no negative feedback. If the individual filing this report is telling the truth, she should have reported this to the appropriate authorities immediately before filing a report such as this on the Internet. I believe this person must be upset with the owner for some reason and this is her way of trying to cause problems for the owner of this day care. If this is case, you are a sad person in need of help. If you truly love children and want to protect them, you need to report this to the authorities. I checked the website before submitting this rebuttal and no report has been filed to date.

Why?

AUTHOR: Prissy - (U.S.A.)

And just WHY have you not reported this to the Department of Social Services ?? Do you not realize that you are a MANDATED reporter ??? If word reaches DSS before you report this, YOU will be charged, too, because you knew this was going on and did not report it. And guess what ? Your name is all over the internet now. I suggest you pick up the phone ASAP and report these incidents before you find yourself in handcuffs tomorrow after a parent reads this report. Just to make sure this gets to the proper authorities at DSS, I might just report it myself. This is SERIOUS stuff.