• Report: #219248

• Submitted: Sun, November 05, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, November 05, 2006

• Reported By:Darwin Other
ASTAR Travel
12421 N Florida Ave Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

ASTAR Travel Tried to rip off but I got my money back, after a fight Tampa Florida

Yes, I got conned by Mr Charles Coleman of ASTAR Travel. I was suspicious at first, but I was a excited at winning something.
I was told that I would only have to pay 15% of the total cost of the holiday. After I received the "tickets" I realised that myself and the three people that I could take with me would in fact have to pay 50% or more.
I was told that for my USD998.00 that Myself and 3 friends could come to the USA and spend 14 days in Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, a cruise to the Bahamas and a bonus trip to Las Vegas. I was also told on the phone that I would be given a car and tickets to Universal Theme parks. WRONG.
They never told me that I would have to pay for all the travelling between destinations, they never told me that the Las Vegas HOLIDAY was only for 2 people and the other 2 people would have to pay extra..
BUT, the one thing that they didn't tell me initially, (and that I got them on), was about their "no refund policy". I read up on the Federal Trade Commission's rules and regulations in the US and found out that they must inform you of this either verbally or in writing before they can take your money. Hence after contacting the F.T.C and getting a report number, and then contacting ASTAR, I have gotten my money back. It took about 5 weeks and a lot of emails, but it worked.
Being in Australia it was hard to contact everyone, the time difference, but you can fight it.
Contact Mastercard or Visa, and DISPUTE the charges. If you didnt receive what you were told over the phone, then you ask your CC company to get the money for you.
Charlyn Martinez (Reservations Manager for ASTAR would you believe!) is the person that I spoke to about the refund. She was not very cooperative, but I got there in the end.
ASTAR and all other Travel companies, in fact any telemarketers, HAVE to record everything that is said. IT IS LAW. Ask them to replay the tapes for you.
Good luck..

Jodie
Darwin
Australia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2006 11:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ASTAR-Travel/Tampa-Florida-33602/ASTAR-Travel-Tried-to-rip-off-but-I-got-my-money-back-after-a-fight-Tampa-Florida-219248. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ASTAR Travel