Complaint Review: AT T Wireless

• Reported By:Tempe Arizona
AT T Wireless
, OH, NY U.S.A.

AT&T Wireless Cellular Service Rip-off

I purchase a phone and signed up for AT&T Wireless Service in Nov 1998. I was told by an AT&T Wireless Representative, as well as, by the company through which I was receiving the phone(MAT) that the contract was for 1 year. In July of 1999 I moved to Cincinnati, OH where my new phone did not work. This was due to the type of service AT&T W.S. provided in Cincinnati. I was told I would have to purchase a new phone.

At that time I tried to switch service to at least 2 different cities (Rochester, NY & Largo, FL), I thought at least my family members could benefit from my contract until Nov 1999. I was told there was no service in those areas. I then decided to give the phone to my parents, for emergency use during the winter months.

Upon one of my discussions with an AT&T W.S. representative I was told that once I went past Nov 1999 I could continue use of the phone on a month to month basis. EVERY BILL FOR SERVICES RENDERED WAS PAID ON TIME AND IN FULL!! When my parents told me that it was fine to cancel the service I called and spoke to a representative who proceeded to tell me that I would have to pay an $80 cancellation fee for breaking my contract early. I was extremely surprised to hear that AT&T was saying I had a 2 year contract. At that point I disputed my bill. Other than bills being sent for the $80, I heard nothing from AT&T until July 4 months after my original dispute of the charges. This person said she had received copies of my paperwork, but didn't know why.

Apparently, my letter describing the above events was not with the rest of the paperwork. I explained the situation, and was told it would be research. Approximately 1 hour later I received a call back saying yes I did have a 2 year contract. At that time, I explained I still did not believe this to be so. I called my former company who is still under the impression that their employees are signing 1 YEAR contracts.

I also called the office that is responsible for the original account. Although I did receive a response back from that office, the gentleman that called me could not help me. Furthermore, AT&T W.S. has not provided any paperwork to prove I signed a 2 year contract. No where on my original contract does it specify a contract length. And to top it off they have turned my account over to a collection agency that has hounded me for the last month and a half. So, under protest, and to get the collection agency off my back, I am sending the 80 "cancellation fee." Ironically, I keep receiving offers in the mail to sign up for an AT&T credit card due to my exceptional credit rating - unbelievable!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/20/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AT-T-Wireless/OH-NY/ATT-Wireless-Cellular-Service-Rip-off-3635. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT T Wireless