Complaint Review: ATI College of Health

• Updated: Tue, September 21, 2010

• Reported By: Joseph — Charlotte North Carolina United States of America
ATI College of Health
1525 NW 167th Street Internet United States of America

ATI College of Health (This school is a SCAM !!! Do not waste your time or $$$. They are not accredited), Internet

Let me tell you a little bit about what happened with ATI College of Health.

This school scammed me and all of its Ultrasound students!

As a potential student, you make an appointment with a Representative and this is what happens;

They take you on a tour of the school and tell you about the Ultrasound Program.

They show you all of their new Ultrasound equipment and they get you excited about the 20 students to each teacher ratio.

They tell you that they are an Accredited Ultrasound School and that in as little as 2 years; you can have an Associate in Science in Ultrasound.

They tell you that they have a TON of locations for you to choose for your clinical hours and they will ALWAYS place you as close to home as possible.

They tell you that they have Financial Aid available and that they do all of the paperwork for you. By the way, the total cost is around $25,000...

They tell you that they have job placement after graduation and that 90% of their students end up getting hired by the same location where they do their clinical hours.

They tell you that after the one year WAITING PERIOD; you can apply and take the ARDMS licensing exam.

They tell you that the school pays for your Examination Fee for this exam...

They tell you that if you want a Bachelor's Degree, ALL of the credits you earned at ATI are transferable to other College/Universities.

Here is what REALLY happened while attending ATI College of Health;

At the beginning of each Program, you start off with 50 students to each teacher, not the 20 they showed you on your tour.

The equipment that you use is outdated to say the least. Half of the machines are constantly being serviced by a repair technician (even during class)

Only 2 teachers at the school were Licensed Ultrasound Techs with Experience in the field, the other teachers were previous students there with no field work.

Half of the teachers there spoke good English; the rest had a HEAVY Spanish accent and even taught in Spanish at times when they did not know the correct word in English to describe something.

I am bi-lingual and of Hispanic decent, but not all of my classmates were, and the American (non Hispanic) students had an extremely hard time understanding the teachers.

By the third semester, the student count went from 50 to 30... Students started to give up and started dropping out. I remained OPTIMISTIC and stuck through it.

By the fourth semester, the student count went from 30 to 20... Something did not feel right. But at this point, if I were going to drop out, I would still have to repay the loans anyways, so I said to myself, I am going to finish and see what happens.

That is around the time that they were giving the INTRODUCTION TOURS for future students coming into the school. It was all starting to make sense now....

I had AMAZING GRADES... I finished all of my classes with a 3.59 GPA.

I was ranked #1 amongst my entire group of 50 students that came in and that still remained.

Now it was time for Clinicals...

We were told to go through the yellow pages and internet and find a location, call them, and ask them if they were accepting students that needed a place to do their clinicals.... WHAT ??????!!!!****????!!!***

We had to find our own locations? This is ridiculous....

What I forgot to mention is that during these 2 years, the ENTIRE faculty had changed..

From the Dean right on down to the teachers, and support staff.

No one from when I began the program was there so EVERYTHING that was told to us before we signed up was different...

At this point, I was frustrated so I gathered a group of 5 students and we made enough noise to get the faculty to find the Clinical Locations for all of the students. At this point, there were only 5 of us left.

They found me a GREAT location for clinicals; however, they NEVER had any Ultrasound Appointments.

I scanned less than 15 patients in the 3 months I was there. So much for field experience.

So I finished my clinicals and to my surprise, they were not in need of an Ultrasound Tech since they only averaged 5 patients a month and they already had a Tech... (The person I shadowed for the 3 months)

So I got my Associates in Science Degree in Ultrasound and I go back to the School to visit the Career Services Dept to begin the job placement procedures...

They asked me to give them a resume and they would forward it when they got a call from a clinic needing an Ultrasound Tech....

THAT WAS THEIR IDEA OF JOB PLACEMENT.

I took matters into my own hands and I began to look for a job myself.

I sent out a few resumes and when I got called back, I kept getting the SAME question every time... "Your resume does not specify if you are licensed. Are you ARDMS Licensed?"

I said "No I just graduated; I have to wait a year before I can take it.

They all said that they ONLY hired ARDMS licensed techs.

So after a year passed, I went online to register for the ARDMS exam and here was another INTERESTING ROADBLOCK...

The requirements to take the exam are as follows;

Scenario #1

Graduate from an accredited school.

Or

Scenario #2

Graduate from a non-accredited school.

-AND-

Complete one year of PAID work as a Sonographer in the field.

I thought that I was good with Scenario #1...

I was wrong. ATI did not have the PROPER accreditation to sit and take the exam....

So I was stuck with Scenario #2

Here is my Dilemma though....

I cant take the ARDMS license exam if I dont have one year of experience working as a Sonographer.

But how can I get one years worth of experience as a Sonographer if no one is willing to hire a Sonographer without an ARDMS license???

I mean there are people that work without a license, but hospitals, clinics, and Dr's offices will always choose the candidate with the license over the one without the license.

I have been trying to get a job in Ultrasound since 2007 and I have not been successful.

The school should have said that they had certain Accreditations, but that they were not accredited by the ARDMS and that I needed to work for a year after graduation, not that I had a One Year Waiting Period before I could take the exam.. That is a total and complete lie and I feel that that point alone makes this school a SCAM.

At this point, my $25,000 school loans are paid in full and I have nothing to show for it but a piece of paper that says Associates in Science in Ultrasound.

I feel the school completely miss-represented itself and lied to all of its students just to make $25,000 from each student that fell for their "sales pitch."

None of the students that I attended school with have ever worked a day as a Sonographer. I think that its more than a coincidence at this point.

I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but his situation makes me think otherwise. I fell so used and tricked and taken to the cleaners. I wasted almost 3 years of my life and I feel the school should be stopped.

If there is anyone out there that can help me, refer me to Lawyer just to see if there is anything I can do about it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

I can be reached at (((email redacted)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2010 01:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATI-College-of-Health/internet/ATI-College-of-Health-This-school-is-a-SCAM-Do-not-waste-your-time-or-They-are-642902. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ATI College of Health