Complaint Review: AT&T - BellSouth

• Submitted: Tue, August 07, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, August 14, 2007

• Reported By:Baton Rouge Louisiana
AT&T - BellSouth
175 East Capital Street Jackson, Mississippi U.S.A.

AT&T - BellSouth AT&T COMPLETELY DESTROYED all land line phone service in one call Ripoff Baton Rouge LA

*Author of original report: Still do not have complete menu of services from AT&T

*Author of original report: Update for CORY

*Consumer Comment: One Question

I work from home, and need a land-line phone, and am in the process of moving into a brand new house.

I called to schedule a "transfer of service" with AT&T on 07/25. The next day, I called to reschedule the date, to a later date. However, when I rescheduled the date, since the date fell on a Saturday, the representative needed to obtain approval for the date. The AT&T Rep did not ever obtain the approval though. (by the way - AT&T has always received payments for their services on a timely basis).

Here's the timeline:

Fri, 08/03
phone line turned off around 9:15 AM CST.
spoke to 5 different representatives, who each advised me that my phone line would be turned back on the same day.

Sat, 08/04
still no service. I finally spoke to someone, who took accountability for the error, and vowed to resolve it that day, which she did. The phone worked for the next day.

Sun, 08/05
phone worked

Mon, 08/06
no phone line again.
called & left several messages with the manager who resolved/fixed the problem on Saturday. no one called me back. found out at the end of the day, no one at AT&T makes any outgoing calls.

Tue, 08/07
still no phone line.again, tried to leave messages with the representative I spoke to on Saturday. escalated the problem to yet another manager

NOW (Tue, 08/07, late afternoon) Why, or better, how, can utility companies continue to employ people who have no sense of accountability, when things go wrong? Will it ever be possible to expect our standard level of service, for things to go right? Has our society now LOWERED our standards, to liberally fit anyone, who feels that something is owed to them? Now, I have to escalate a problem to management, in order to obtain the standard level of service.

No Phone with AT&T
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2007 02:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-BellSouth/Jackson-Mississippi-39201/ATT-BellSouth-ATT-COMPLETELY-DESTROYED-all-land-line-phone-service-in-one-call-Ripoff-265865. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T - BellSouth

AUTHOR: New br homeowner - (U.S.A.)

ddsThis is really beyond incompentency. 11 days later, and AT&T cannot get it right for more than a few hours.

After restoring land line phone service at my old address, my land line phone services did work for about 1 1/2 days. However, after confirming on Thu, 08/09 that my transfer was set as scheduled for 08/11, on Saturday, 08/11, AT&T did NOT transfer the service. Service was left on at the old address, and when I called, AT&T had it yet again, rescheduled it for Tues, 08/14.

All services, including voice mail, long distance, call forwarding, were then transferred, AFTER I called AT&T, on Sat, 08/11.

Then, on Monday morning, my voice mail was disconnected. I left 2-3 messages with a manager, and never heard from her on Monday.

Now, as I type this on Tuesday afternoon, and after I have now left another voice mail message, and escalated to another manager, and left 2 messages with this manager, I still have NOT heard back from anyone at AT&T.

Update for CORY

AUTHOR: New br homeowner - (U.S.A.)

Yes - I do have a cell phone. And there are now alternative ways of obtaining internet service, other than a phone line. Therefore, I use a cable modem for internet service as my ISP.

My entire point is that AT&T was supposed to transfer my service, with the same telephone #, FROM my old address TO my new address. Instead of transferring service with the same #, AT&T arbitrarily decided themselves to install a NEW phone # at both the OLD & NEW addresses. Each time what seems to be a competent AT&T Manager corrects my problem, someone else goes behind them, and DISENGAGES the correction.

One Question

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Do you have a cell phone? You called them and told them to cancel you service. Then the next day you call them and told them NOT to cancel your service. But you would call them at a later date to cancel your service. Then you wanted it canceled on a Sat. when the business office is closed. Is this from the new house or the old house? I know, AT&T bites. One last thing, today is 8/7, the date of this post. If you don't have phone service how are you posting this by computer on 8/7?