Complaint Review: AT&T WIRELESS/ PALISADES210

• Submitted: Sun, January 29, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, January 29, 2006

• Reported By:Casselberry Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: Angela, this is easy to fix.

Before I switched wireless service, I contacted AT&T wireless (who was my current provider at the time) so that I might verify my "Cancellation date" of my "Contract" with AT&T. The individual I spoke with gave me a particular day, so I requested that to be my last day of service with them. I verified it 3 times with the AT&T customer service and they assured me there would not be any cancellation fees, and wished me a good day.

Few weeks later I received a letter from AT&T wireless saying I owed them a cancellation fee of $165.00, because I canceled my service a few days to soon. I have pleaded with AT&T Wireless that this is a mistake, because I verified 3 times with their customer service dept. the end date of my "Contract". They were no help and immediately sent my account to "Palisades Collection" so they could start their harassment process. I have tried to fight them, and have disputed them on my credit report, but have had no change.

I don't owe this "Cancellation Fee" but it is effecting my credit score, and I want this to end. If anyone knows how to help please contact me. Maybe there should be a class action law suit filed against AT&T wireless and Palisades Collection Agency because this BULLING NEED TO STOP!!!!!!!

Casselberry, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2006 06:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-WIRELESS-PALISADES210/ENGLEWOOD-CLIF-New-Jersey-07632/ATT-WIRELESS-PALISADES-210-RIPOFF-FRAUDULENT-CANCELLATION-CHARGES-BY-COLLECTION-ENGLEWO-173765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T WIRELESS/ PALISADES210

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Angela, this is easy to fix.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The burden of proof for the cancellation fee is on them, not you.

The first thing you do is stop the phone calls.

Do everything in writing, by certified mail, return reciept requested.

By the method above, send the collection agency a cease communication letter as per your rights under the FDCPA.

Now prepare one letter of dispute to the wireless company where you dispute the cancellation fee and list the times and dates of your conversations. Also request a copy of your SIGNED contract.

Send this letter to all credit bureaus and to the collection agency.

Don't you have a copy of your contract???

The date on the contract will be the determining factor here, regardless of what the rep told you.

Unless you have the name and/or employee# of the person that told you that you relly wont have a case. They record all conversations. I would give them a date and have them review the tapes.

Good luck