Complaint Review: AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular)

• Submitted: Mon, March 01, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, May 17, 2010

• Reported By: russmike — Chicago Illinois United States of America
AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular)

AT&T Wireless ,formerly Cingular, Trapped in a Contact that AT&T will not let me out of yet I can't get cell service within a 5 block radius of my new home in the heart of Chicago Internet

*UPDATE Employee: A solution...

*Consumer Comment: Its easy to know what to due.

Since relocating to Chicago from San Diego in December of 2009, I cannot obtain ANY cell service within a four block radius of my home; thus, the only way I can obtain service is to get in my car and drive 5+ blocks away, park some where and make my calls.

Over the past 2+ months, I have made repeated calls to AT&T's customer service department escalating the calls each time to management personnel. On each occasion I've been told that they will file a complaint and some sort of action will occur; however, my service has not improved. In fact, if anything it has gotten worse.

As a result, I (again) called AT&T today and stated that I needed to have phone service within 24 hours or they needed to let me out of my contract as I shouldn't have to pay for a service that I'm not receiving. Unfortunately, AT&T said that they "don't guarantee coverage everywhere", thus, they will not let me out of my contact. However, it's not like I moved to a rural farming community. I live one block from Lake Michigan in the heart of Chicago; therefore, if they can't guarantee service within the four block radius of my home within the city borders what options do I now have???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2010 03:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Wireless-formerly-Cingular/internet/ATT-Wireless-formerly-Cingular-Trapped-in-a-Contact-that-ATT-will-not-let-me-out-of-576241. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T Wireless (formerly Cingular)

A solution...

AUTHOR: Muz - (United States of America)

I can totally understand how that would be a pain for you... however, expecting them to build a cell tower on your block, when those towers are ridiculously expensive is not going to happen unless enough people complain.  Heck, it could just be the terrain: tall buildings wreak havoc on certain bands of cell service, and AT&T doesn't have all the licenses in all the cities to get down past the tall buildings in all areas.

What you can do is go to the local AT&T store, and tell them your story.  As of yesterday, the company has launched a micro-cell device that will use your internet connection to put out a low-range cell tower signal in your own house.  They may try to sell you the device for $150, but if you cause enough of a stink, the manager of the store can work something out for you.

If you don't have an internet connection at home, this won't work for you, but if you do, it's a viable option to make sure that you can make and receive phone calls at home.

Its easy to know what to due.

AUTHOR: Ceadda - (U.S.A.)

Pay your bill, use it when you can, and shut up.

They didn't tell you to move. They didn't force you to a place without cell coverage.

Most of all, they don't have to give you coverage everywhere, and especially not at your house.

I moved while under a cell contract 6 years ago. Had 8 months left on one phone, 13 on the other on the contract. Moved about, oh, 300 miles from the nearest tower for that local carrier.

Know what I did? Paid my bill, without complaint, for the 8 months till the first line came up.  When that lines contract was done I called up to cancel it, explaining that I had moved out of the state and wouldn't be needing the line anymore.

They canceled it, and just to be nice, sent me a thank you letter and canceled my other line early since I'd  been nice and paid my bill without needing/using the phone for 8 months.