Complaint Review: AT&T Wireless

• Submitted: Fri, October 17, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, September 14, 2012

• Reported By:Bakersfield California
AT&T Wireless
P.O. Box 60060-0017 Bakersfield, California U.S.A.

AT&T Wireless Rip-off on rollover minutes Bakersfield California

*Consumer Comment: bad plan setup

*UPDATE Employee: Understanding rollover minutes

I have had a plan for many years with AT&T Wireless that includes rollover minutes - i.e. I have 900 minutes a month on the plan and whatever I don't use each month rolls over to the next month. I just realized that I have accumulated 4,240 rollover minutes, so to save myself some money I decided to change to a cheaper plan with less minutes offered, at least until I used up the accumulated rollerover minutes.

I called them to change my plan from $59.99/month (includes 900 anytime minutes) to the $39.99/month plan (includes 450 anytime minutes), but was told if I change my plan I will lose ALL of my rollover minutes except however many minutes the new plan offers. Which means I will go from having 4,240 minutes to only having 450 minutes, effectively LOSING 3,790 of my earned rollover minutes.

Obviously this totally defeats the purpose of changing to a lower priced plan. To me, this is a rip-off! I earned those rollover minutes and they should not be able to take them away from me.

Bakersfield, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/17/2008 10:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Wireless/Bakersfield-California-93309/ATT-Wireless-Rip-off-on-rollover-minutes-Bakersfield-California-382183. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T Wireless

bad plan setup

AUTHOR: Jon Sweet - (United States of America)

I honestly think this is a ripoff, the key thing to note is the range mentioned above "450-500".  If the consumer was sometimes using 450 and other times 500 (which isn't even an accurate reflection of actuals), then at $0.40 per over the plan charge, the consumer would have paid 20.00 extra in some months vs others and ending up paying the same amount as the more expensive plan in the long run.

The reality is that at least for me, my range is quite erratic, sometimes I spend 600 minutes sometimes 950 minutes. I have accumulated 10,000 (ten thousand) roll over minutes. I'd like to go down to the next available plan, but it doesn't make sense to me. What would make sense to me is 1000 minute plan which doesn't exist.

It's a rip-off, because statistically they have determined more profitability by not offering a 1000 minute plan.

If I go down to the next available plan with 700 minutes then here is a scenario that just does not work.
Jan - I downgrade to 700. I am left with 700 rollorver (I lose the 10k that I had accumulated).
Feb - I use 900
Mar - I use 700
Apr - I use 900
May - I use 1000
Jun - I use 700
Jul - I use 700
Aug - I use 1000 (<-- Let's see what happend here, because the rollover balance is now 0)
Sep - 900
Oct - 700
Nov- 900
Dec- 400

At $.40/minute extra this comes out to --> 120.00 extra dollar which I would have spent if I had NOT downgraded in the first place. I have been an AT&T customer non-stop for 15 years, but this is the first time I feel like I'm actually being ripped off with these aggressive non-sensical plan offerings.

My bill spikes because

Understanding rollover minutes

AUTHOR: Marilyn - (U.S.A.)

I understand your frustration over the rollover minutes being lost. I have heard this complaint many times. However, if you look at your calling patterns that allowed you to gain so many rollover minutes you will find that you wouldn't have used up all those rollover minutes within the year (12 months) before they expired. Yes rollover minute expire 12 months after they were acquired. Let me explain.

You had a 900 minute plan. If it took you a year to accrue over 4000 rollover min that means you were only using between 450-500 minutes a month. If it was less than a year then you were using much fewer minutes. If it had been a year or so you would be starting to lose some of rollover minutes each month anyway.

Therefore, lowering your plan to a 450 minute plan, you would most likely not use many of the 450 rollover minutes you would be allowed to keep.

Besides I am not aware of any other major wireless company allowing you to keep your unused minutes.