Complaint Review: AT&T Wireless

• Reported By: jmilla — York Pennsylvania United States of America
AT&T Wireless
208 South Akard Street Dallas, Texas United States of America

AT&T Wireless Deceptive wireless data roaming practices Dallas, Texas

My billing cycle ended at exactly 1:59AM on February 14th and between 2AM and 3:30AM AT&T recorded over 100MB of data usage on my phone, except that my phone was completely powered off.  When I turned my phone on this morning where the AT&T carrier logo normally is it read "OFF NETWORK" and within 5 minutes an email came through saying I had maxed my allotment of 24MB of "off-network" data usage and that it had actually exceeded 100MB of usage.  Upon speaking with two different reps after getting a text message notification and the email they both told me that I had data roaming enabled on my iPhone (which was false, I never once have had data roaming enabled since I've owned either my iPhones 3G or 4) and that I was roaming at exactly 2AM which is why I received the notification shortly after.

I've been staying at this location for over one month and at no time have I ever had "roaming" or any other carriers show up where the AT&T carrier logo is. [continued below]....
.....  It was only at the VERY BEGINNING of the new billing cycle that they accused me of going over this so-called off-network data allotment and then told me that if I continued to use anything but wi-fi that my service would either be temporarily suspended or completely cut off.  This needs to be brought to the forefront nationally as AT&T continues deceptive practices with their unlimited data iPhone users.  I use on average 2-4 GBs of data every month, I travel all over the country for work, I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and below are screenshots of both the email, text message, as well as the coverage map clearly indicating that I am within AT&T's coverage area.

As per both AT&T reps this was something that "I did" except for the fact that I did nothing, changed no habits of how I have used my phone for the past month, had my phone powered off at the said time of data usage, which at that exact point was within the first hour of my new billing cycle.  I hope to hear back from your agency soon as I continue to spread this startling news.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2012 01:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Wireless/Dallas-Texas-75202/ATT-Wireless-Deceptive-wireless-data-roaming-practices-Dallas-Texas-839041. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AT&T Wireless