Complaint Review: ATT Wireless

• Submitted: Thu, October 09, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, October 09, 2008

• Reported By:Bellevue Nebraska
ATT Wireless
www.att.com Monterey, California U.S.A.

ATT Wireless 2300 bill for one month of usage- roaming Monterey California

I bought a phone in 2003 in California, I am active duty military and knew that I would be PCSing (moving) to Texas in a year. I asked the salesperson specifically if I would be covered at my new address. They told me that because I was signing up for the extended network plan I would be covered. So, I bought the phone, moved to Texas and continued to use my phone.

The phone said ROAM on the screen at times, and I didn't use my phone during those times, but in other areas it said EXTENDED AREA. So, I used the phone when it said extended area. A month later I received a bill for approximately $2300, as I was charged roaming for the entire month.

I called repeatedly to try and work this out with the company, and all I was told was that they (ATT) had to pay the other networks for my use of their towers, so ther was nothing they could do, I needed to pay the bill in full.

Eventually after calling again and again they told me they would "write it off as bad debt". Now, as a 19 year old, new to the military, just out of high school, I had no idea what that meant. So I asked if that meant I didn't have to pay it. The customer service agent told me that I didn't have to pay it, it would be "written off". So, I went on about my business with my new cell company.

Fast forward 4 years, and I recieve a summons from a county deputy stating that Palisades Collection, LLC is suing me for $2300 plus interest. I was deploying within a month of receiving this summons, and the company got the judgement against me.

Now I have a judgement on my credit report for the $2300, which I paid off, just to get it taken care of, and try to improve my credit report, but the judgement is still there, only now it will be upgraded to a "satisfied judgement". Which basically means I paid it, but it remains as a negative (very negative) mark on my credit for 7 years.

When a company tells me that I will have coverage, and then I find out that there is absolutely no coverage in the entire town, never was, I feel like I was cheated. The sad part is, at this point, I would be satisfied if they would just take the judgement off my credit report, I already paid it.

Jen
Bellevue, Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2008 01:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT-Wireless/Monterey-California-93944/ATT-Wireless-2300-bill-for-one-month-of-usage-roaming-Monterey-California-379584. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ATT Wireless