- Report: #1077
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: AT&T
AT&T Overcharging *UPDATE .. Join class action against AT&T
*0: AT&T Overcharging ..class action going on at this moment against AT&T
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
1. We had an unsolicited mail offer from AT&T to switch over to their ONE RATE INTERNATIONAL PLUS 2 in September 1999
2. We committed to this offer on Sept 29, 1999
3. AT&T switched us over but FAILED to switch us over to this offered plan
4. As a consequence - our charges were exorbitant and unreasonable; some of which were up to $2.59 per minute on long distance calls. (Our previous carrier was MCI, charging at $0.47 per minute.)
5. I did not challenge the initial November bill which amounted to $744.28 since my wife was the one who made the arrangements and was out of the US at that time.
6. My wife was back in December and saw both the Noveber and December bills and disputed the charges.
7. AT&T rectified the charges for December but REFUSES to do so on the November charges - alleging that they have a standing policy which requires customers to complain within 30 days - otherwise, the complaint is moot.
This is a very anti-customer policy and attitude by AT&T:
1. AT&T failed to implement an agreed upon plan in time
2. AT&T is moving the responsibility on its accountability of its own errors to its customers instead of itself
3. AT&T acknowledges its error but refuses to fully rectify the problem it caused
4. AT&T did not provide full disclosure of their 30 day policy and its impact on customers
Please consider this a formal complaint and kindly challenge AT&T's lack of disclosure and accountability to its errors.
Wilfredo R. Briones
P.S. - Below is a short historical summary of the events:
September 1999 - We received promo through mail. The plan is called ONE RATE INTERNATIONAL PLUS 2. 30c a minute for calls to the Philippines for the first 6 months 24 hours a day; then 47c thereafter. Domestic long distance is 10c a minute 24 hours a day.
Previous to this, our carrier was MCI World Com at 47c a minute to the Philippines plus United Airlines Mileage Plus accumulation.
September 29, 1999 - I called AT&T at 1-800-437-0966 ext. 75770 and signed up. A lady named Christine verified and OK'ed it.
Oct 2, 1999 - US West connected us to AT&T, but AT&T did not apply the above plan.
Therefore, on Nov. 7, 1999 - we got the bill of $845.76 charging us $2.59 a minute for calls to Philippines, and between 11c to 26c for domestic long distance! Of this amount, $744.28 were AT&T charges.
The bill was paid because the mistake was not noticed.
Dec. 7, 1999 - we get another bill; mistake was noticed.
Dec. 21, 1999 - Was on the phone with AT&T and US West for two hours!! AT&T gave credit for Dec. 7 bill, but refuses to credit Nov. 7 bill. Guidelines, they said. First, two customer service reps, then a higher level manager named Mr. Castillo, then I asked for his manager, and he promised a call back. A guy named Kevin called twice - left voice mail that he can not give credit for the Nov. 7 bill because it is the guideline -- i.e., we should have complained within 30 days upon receipt of the bill.
Talked to these US West departments requesting their assistance to resolve this dispute; we are supposed to hear from them, either by phone or letter (as of January 5, 2000, we have not heard anything):
1. Credit Management - talked to Jim; very thorough and helpful; recorded our discussions/complaints in their computer
2. Credit and Collection - had a conference call with Greg and a lady.
3. Carrier Service Bureau - talked to someone with initial "clc"
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ATT/nationwide/ATT-Overcharging-UPDATE-Join-class-action-against-ATT-1077. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.