Complaint Review: AVG virus protection

• Submitted: Fri, December 28, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, December 31, 2012

• Reported By: Stacey — Dallas Texas U.S.A.
AVG virus protection

AVG virus protection SCAM, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Are you out of your mind?

*Consumer Comment: Getting AVG off your computer is hard but can be done

*Author of original report: Wrong

*Consumer Comment: Different perspecive

*Consumer Suggestion: AVG Anti-Virus Removal

I downloaded this program that was supposed to be "free".  Now I cannot not get it off my computer.  I have sent this company letters yet I have as of today have a response.  You cannot contact these scumbags by email and cannot get this crappy product off my computer.

Now I have to buy a new computer because this program has corrupted my computer!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2012 11:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AVG-virus-protection/internet/AVG-virus-protection-SCAM-Internet-988459. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AVG virus protection

Are you out of your mind?

AUTHOR: Garnet Valley Guy - ()

"I am an Independent Computer Tech. " "I am an Independent Computer Tech. " "I am an Independent Computer Tech. "

That is great, but are you a human being? Don't you see that hundreds of thousands of people who aren't computer techs have experienced that this company, has by design, created something that takes over and ruins your computer? Are you stupid or being paid by them?

Are you really so dumb as to not see that other people are having massive problems with a system designed to take over and alter your experience for the far worse? Can you not empathize with an older person, who may not be a tech, having there ability to use their computer destroyed by this company

I would never hire you; you don't understand anything about being a tech if you don’t see this company does a really evil thing.

Getting AVG off your computer is hard but can be done

AUTHOR: SJ - (United States of America)

Dear Sir:

Years ago a friend downloaded the AVG free version of the antivirus on my computer.  I wasn't aware that my friend who wanted to use my computer for his resume was doing this.  I have always used the free version of  Avast Home Edition which is totally free, you need to go to Avast.com.

To get back to your problem with AVG.  There is a website online called AntiVirus.com, you one free Scan.  I was told about this when I couldn't get the AVG off my computer.  I was told that doing their Free Scan for virus, would tell me which file from AVG, wouldn't let me take the AVG off my computer.  If for some reason that doesn't work, I would suggest that you go to Avast.com, download the Free "Home Edition", then calling them for help with getting rid of the AVG, if that does not solve the problem.

By the way which Windows are you running.  I was running an older version of windows when I had the problem getting it off of my computer.  I will look for the other program, which I had to run to get rid of some of the files from AVG.  I feel for you, because I felt like strangling my friend when he downloaded the AVG, because I was already using Avast free antivirus, for over 5 years when this happened.  That friend doesn't come near my computer anymore.  In other words they are not allowed to touch my computer anymore.

Let me know if this helps and I will try to find the other website I used to get rid of the problem.  AVG has hidden files, which does not come off when you go to ADD/REMOVE programs.  Sometime you have to pick them out of the brains of the compute one by one, but of course you need to know what you are looking for, because sometimes AVG disguises it files, to where you can't tell they belong to AVG.

Wrong

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Fly I usually support your rebuttals but on this case you are wrong.  I cannot delete this program from my computer at all - I do not want to buy it!  I have restored this pc several times and this program will not go away.

Contractor - I know how to work a computer - have to fix my parent's when they screw something up

AVG is a load of crap - I cannot get it off my site and if you have any idea how to I would be open to that.

I cannot afford a new computer but I need one for job searches after I was laid off from a job I held for 13 1/2 years.  Now I need to finish my second college degree and several classes I have to take are online.  If my computer is not working 100% I cannot access my classes - see the problem???? I am not an idiot and do not post idiotic reports unless I feel that the product is indeed corrupt like AVG is.

I have contacted their headquarters via mail with not one single response.

Different perspecive

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

I have been using the 'free' version of AVG for years and it is indeed free.  I have never paid them a cent.  They have additional products they offer but you don't have to buy them.

It has found several problems and corrected them over time and it updates automatically for free and it has never corrupted my computer.

If your computer somehow got that screwed up why don't you just do a simple restore from either your system backup or your restore partition depending on what brand you have.  You should never have to buy a new computer just because the software got corrupted.  Unless, of course, you just want a reason to get a new computer.  That's silly.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AVG Anti-Virus Removal

AUTHOR: TechGuy - (United States of America)

I am a Independent Computer Tech. As with just about any "Free application" you download the company normally does not supply technical support. I have downloaded "AVG Free Edition" numerous times with no problems. Not sure from what website you downloaded it from. As for uninstalling have you Googled - "AVG uninstall utility"? This software alone will not ruin your computer to the point of having to buy another. That is virtually impossible. It sounds to me you already had problems prior to downloading/installing "AVG".