Complaint Review: AVG

• Submitted: Thu, July 11, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, July 11, 2013

• Reported By: Barbara — Acton California
Internet USA

*Consumer Suggestion: Is it Windows OS?

*Consumer Comment: Try this....

I had loaded AVG on the recommendation of others, including CNET and other sources that I believed were reliable.  Within a month or so, I noticed my system was much slower and I was having many issues. I did not connect that it was the AVG software.  I have spent over 8 months or more trying to "clean up" my computer, thinking I had viruses, etc.  I only used the free AVG one time and all it did was try to up sell me to their next level of software. I declined. I have now spent over 4 weeks trying to uninstall this software. I have tried to find a phone number or some type of direct contact, all to no avail.  I tried the toll free number for avgtechsupport.com, only to find that they were indepedent consultants and wanted access to my computer to remove the software. I declined.

My computer continues to run incredibly slow and yet it is a newer, Dell laptop.  From all the posts I have now read on Ripoff Report, I can not believe they are still in business and continue to cheat people.

I need to remove this wicked software from my computer and cannot find anyone who has successfully made it happen. If you have, please post a "how to" so the rest of us can clean up our system.

In the mean time, I do believe we all need to report them to the Better Business Bureau and any other location to save everyone else the headache and stress of dealing with this crooked and wicked company.

If they were a legitimate company, truly looking to assist and support their customers, they would reply and share informatoin on "how to" uninstall and correct all the outstanding issues that have been posted. Their silence speaks volumes.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/11/2013 01:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AVG/internet/AVG-CANNOT-REMOVE-FROM-MY-COMPUTER-Internet-1066266. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AVG

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Is it Windows OS?

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

If your computer is using Windows as Operating System (OS), a better way to remove it is to let Windows do it in "Safe Mode."

1. Turn off your computer (you could use Restart but turn it off is better)
  2. Turn your computer back on
  3. Right after your computer screen shows info (such as how much memory it has or Bios Logo), press F8. You could keep pressing F8 right after you see something on the screen every second.
  4. If you do it correctly, there will be a menu for you to choose how to boot Windows. If instead you see WIndows starts its operation, it means you failed to stop it from normal boot. Simply redo it again. Preferrably do it after it has booted up and you shut it down using Windows. You could stop it by turnning it off in the middle of boot up, but that may harm your Hard Drive.
  5. Once you see the menu, use your arrow key (up or down) to select "Safe Mode" (not the one with network because you do not need network at this point) and press Enter.
  6. Let the computer completely boot up. If you set a log in for your computer, you will see the log screen and you need to log in as if you are on normal mode.
  7. In the "Safe Mode," you will see that the screen resolution is low (everything looks big), ignore the display and don't try to set up anything from here.
  8. Go to Start, then go to Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Software.
  9. You should be a list of all installed softwares here. Now it depends on what version of Windows you are using. Different version shows a bit different GUI (Graphic User Interface).
  10. If I remember correctly, Windows Vista & 7 have similar UI (I've never tried Windows 8 but it should have similar UI if you run on normal mode display, not metro). To remove a program, click to select a software, and then click on 'Uninstall' on the top of the listed frame. Follow the instruction. Once it finishes uninstall, it should refresh the list (the selected software should no longer be included in the list).
  11. Once done, go to Start again and this time click on Computer to open the file explorer. Double click on "Program Files" to open its folder. Select AVG or whatever it said (could be AVG2013) by clicking on it only ONCE (not double click). Delete the whole folder (press Delete or DEL on your keyboard). Confirm to remove it.
  12. Reboot your computer once you are done. The software should be Removed now.

Please do NOT mess up with "regedit" if you do NOT know how to manually configure the OS. You could screw up badly on Windows because the OS does NOT expect layman users to fix by themselves (even though this is a bad idea). Anyway, let me know how you do.

Try this....

AUTHOR: Starvros - ()

I searched "remove AVG software" and found this...

First you should click the START button..and go to the RUN....and type REGEDIT in small letters..then a folder will be open...the left side of that folder you can see hds key and users key like that...maximize that + signs and you can see software there..click on that software and you can see avg 8 there..you can delete avg from there and check all hs keys and software there and delete avg from there...after that you can install new antivirus....