Complaint Review: AVIS Customer Service

• Submitted: Mon, May 28, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, May 28, 2012

• Reported By: JTraveller — Laguna Hilla California United States of America
AVIS Customer Service

AVIS Customer Service at the National Office you get when you call YOUR agency locally and they are closed, when you want to EXTEND a rental period. . Price Gouging on week long extension of previously rented car Internet, Internet

I rented a full size car for the period of 1 week from a local agency in person, showed proof of my insurance (with a major company), and stated I was a member of the Choice Hotels - a partner company with AVIS at the Elite Diamond level (the highest level there is).

The LOCAL Agency manager was very nice. Cost was quoted at $169.00 for the week, and that if I came back in before the rental was finished I could "extend it" for as long as I needed to at similar rates.

Unfortunately I had hit heavy traffic on Saturday morning of a 3 day holiday and didn't get back before they closed at noon. On Sunday afternoon I called the Agency to leave a message that I needed to rent the car another 3 or 4 days - to cover two more appointments out of town. Instead I got the National Customer Service rep - they apparently answer if the Agencies don't. I asked about the rental extension - after going in circles several times through their "automated" answering service- and was told the "additional" cost would be over $ 400 for just 7 days - which I had just paid only $169.00 for the 1st week to the local Agency.

When I refused and asked WHY such a high cost, I was told the car I had- was not now part of the Agency's "normal rental available cars" as I had extended it - and so had to pay full cost instead! I asked twice and received the same cocakamamie story - and finally said "what I understand is that you feel that now you have me over a barrel because my Agency is closed until Tuesday - when I have to go on my next appointment - you can charge me whatever the market will bear!". She refused to answer- was rather rude before as well, and so I only extended it for 2 days - instead- to be brought back Wednesday before Noon - for which she charged me the same amount as for an entire week that the local Agency charged, and she refused to discuss my Choice Privileges Elite Diamond Discount (their business Partner) - saying it was "already included in the price quoted" which clearly was not so!

I will not use AVIS again. Their alleged "National Customer Service" is anything but - and I feel they ripped me off for whatever they thought they could get. and the refused to honor the Choice Hotels Elite Diamond Discount they and Choice Hotels advertise.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/28/2012 02:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AVIS-Customer-Service/internet/AVIS-Customer-Service-at-the-National-Office-you-get-when-you-call-YOUR-agency-locally-an-889531. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AVIS Customer Service