Complaint Review: Aamco Humble Transmission

• Reported By: J. — Texas United States of America
Aamco Humble Transmission
1904 East FM 1960 Bypass Humble, Texas United States of America

Aamco Humble Transmission Don't believe the quote Humble, Texas

On 10/4/2010 my 2003 Honda Odyssey was in the shop at a Honda dealership. I was told that it needed a new transmission and quoted a price of $4,500. The van was not worth spending that amount of money so I called the Aamco located at 1904 East FM 1960 Bypass in Humble, TX. I spoke with Jay. He was friendly, courteous, and seemed to be familiar with the Odyssey transmissions. I told Jay the problem I was having and the diagnosis I had received from the Honda Dealership. I asked him what I was looking at in a worse case scenario for a complete rebuild and was told it would be around $2000.

On 10/5/2010 I picked my van up from the Honda dealership and drove it to Aamco. Jay was not there so I spoke with George when I dropped it off. George said that Jay had told him that I was coming in. George called me later in the day and said he needed to remove the transmission. It would cost $475 for diagnosis if I decided not to fix it. Since Jay had told me it would be around $2000 I gave George the authorization to disassemble the transmission. George called me back at about 4:30 and told me it would cost $3600 to rebuild my transmission. I asked George why it was so much more than Jay had told me and he said that it had a different transmission. Jay did not disclose to me that the Odyssey could have more than one transmission and that the price would be different. I told George to hold off and I would call him the next day.

On 10/6/2010 I called George and informed him that I was not happy and felt that I had been dealt with dishonestly. I stated that had I been told the correct cost I would not have allowed them to remove the transmission. George told me that if I picked the van up I owed $475 and the transmission would be disassembled in a box. He said he could do the rebuild for $3242 but could not go any lower than that. George stated that he couldn't discount the labor ($1543.82) and had to make at least 29% profit on the parts. After doing some research I felt trapped. If I picked the van up I would have to pay $475, have it towed, and pay someone else to rebuild a transmission that they did not disassemble. I also investigated selling the van as-is but discovered that it was worth more with a bad transmission than with the transmission removed. I called George back and told him to go ahead and repair the van for $3242.

On 10/08/10 I picked the van up. George did give me the 3yr/36k mile warranty which I appreciate. However, I would not have done the repair had I known it would cost so much. I feel i was dealt with dishonestly by this Aamco and trapped into paying more once the transmission was removed and I had few other options.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/22/2010 01:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aamco-Humble-Transmission/Humble-Texas-/Aamco-Humble-Transmission-Dont-believe-the-quote-Humble-Texas-654124. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aamco Humble Transmission