Complaint Review: Aamco transmission

• Reported By: Ted — Seneca South Carolina United States of America
Aamco transmission
610 Cheney Hwy Titusville, Florida United States of America

Aamco transmission Help me get my car back!!!!!! Titusville, Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: AAMO CORPORATE DOESNT CARE!

*Author of original report: final update

*Consumer Comment: Glutton for punishment

*Author of original report: Ok I got my vehicle back

*Consumer Comment: Is Scaamco corporate aware of this RIPOFFREPORT?

*General Comment: Show up with lawyer and tow truck

*Author of original report: Latest update

*Consumer Comment: The reason they want you to drop off your car

*Consumer Comment: AAMCO Titusville/USA

*Consumer Comment: Demanding cash or check

*Author of original report: update

*Consumer Comment: Aamco- SO MANY REPORTS!

*Consumer Comment: HOW TO GET YOUR CAR BACK

I was traveling from Miami to SC and my transmission went out at mm226, Titusville Fl.  Called the local Aamco franchise as it was the only name I knew to ask for in the area.  Got Don on the phone.  Very nice and pleasant and promised a free tow and got me to his shop about 4pm.  Said he'd do a free diagnostic in the morning.  Son had to be at high school graduation next day so we rented a car and continued on our way.  Don called next morning with much bad news.  Claims the starter boltdown tab was broken and they would have to replace the starter.  Broke two exhaust manifold studs pulling the manifold and that would have to be reworked.  All that with a rebuilt transmssion over $3,000.00.

First problem:  When I questioned the cost of replacing the starter I'm quoted over $200.00.  But wait!  A starter only costs about $100.00 and the labor to pull and replace is already built into the R&R transmission service.

Second problem:  Explained that I felt the price was too high and was going to check other transmission shops in the area.  Oh, that's fine, but I owe him $700.00 for the R&R even if he doesn't do the work.  I asked why I hadn't gotten a report after the supposed 'free' diagnostic that was going to be 'done in the morning', and was told I gave up that option when I had signed a disclaimer that I would authorize a certain dollar value of repairs.  Don't misunderstand, I expect to pay for a repair estimate for something as involved as a transmission, but $700.00 for 3-4 hours, if that, of work to find out what needs to be done is pretty outrageous.

So now I've got quotes for rebuilding the transmission for half the price, but I have to pay this guy $700.00 to get my vehicle out of his grasp.

Don't go!!!!  This particular shop wants nothing but to take as much of your money as they can get their hands on.

Forewarned is forearmed and if ever confronted with a service disclaimer that you are going to approve a dollar value of repairs beforehand write '0'

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2011 03:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aamco-transmission/Titusville-Florida-32780/Aamco-transmission-Help-me-get-my-car-back-Titusville-Florida-736122. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aamco transmission

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AAMO CORPORATE DOESNT CARE!

AUTHOR: MH with CP Const. - (USA)

SORRY ABOUT YOUR ORDEAL BUT AAMCO CORPORATE COULD CARE LESS  , thats why they sell franchises so they have no liability , AAMCO IN GENERAL IS JUST A SCAM , CROOKED TOTHE LAST REPAIR SHOP !

final update

AUTHOR: Ted - (USA)

Well, I traveled down to Ft. Lauderdale the first week of July 2011 and had to drive under 55 the whole way down.  I still had the transmission warnings on, but at least the overheated warning stayed off most of the trip.  When I got to Ft. Lauderdale the wife and I rented a car and took the vehicle in to the local Aamco at 1900 N Dixie Hwy.  This was a Tuesday, as they were closed Monday for the July fourth holiday and we were prepared to leave it there all week.  Dealer took it out and test drove it, brought it back told us, "Yep, it's burnt up and needs to be redone, but I can't do it."

Headed back home from Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday the 10th of July.  Got to Hartwell GA and the seals all blew again and when I coasted the vehicle off the road the hot fluid caught fire and nearly destroyed my vehicle.  Of course, Hartwell Ga is a small town with only a volunteer fire department so it took a little while to get them dispatched to put out the fire.  Thanks AAmco!

Glutton for punishment

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Good that you got your vehicle away from the first leech, but you need to learn your lesson and STAY AWAY from ALL scAAmcos!

They just cover each others asses.  At least you didn't approve any real work.

The first ass may have not put enough fluid back in it, if he did any work at all on it. (sounds like the same transmission)

Try checking your fluid level when warm, you may need to add some, I would put synthetic in.

I would recommend a fluid and filter change at an HONEST place.  Best to do it yourself.  If that doesn't help you may add some "lucas trans stabilizer"

Matter of fact if your transmission is just overheating but shifting alright, you can add some anyway till you get the filter change.

Ok I got my vehicle back

AUTHOR: Ted - (United States of America)

Well, what a sad, sad saga.  So I go down to Titusville and finally work out a price to do the work.  Still not particularly happy with it, but the franchisee agreed that if I would get the starter problem taken care of, which I was wrong, the bolt threads had galvinized to the threads in the starter,although there wasn't a speck of rust under the vehicle or on the starter, he would do the full transmission rebuild for $2500.00 ($2495.00 actually)  Guy has me cool my heels for 8 days before he's able to get the job done.

Yesterday 6/15/11 I go in to pick-up the hostage and I don't even make it back up I-95 to the point where I first had the incident, mm 226, and the traction control warning message comes up and my ABS light comes on.  Both problems that had occurred in the original event on 6/1/11.  I finally get my son on his cell and ask him to find me the next Aamco up I95 and by the time he gets to the computer and finds the Florida locations I've already passed Daytona and the check transmission warning message has come on and the O/D off indicator begins flashing.  All the exact same warnings I had been experiencing before the transmission failed on June 1.

I'm not 40 miles down the road at this point and I get off at the St Augustine exit, but unfortunately I misunderstood my son and thought he had said to turn north when I got to US 1 and never found the dealer.  When I called him back he told me that, no, I was supposed to have turned south.  Anyway, I get back on the I95 as I'm now 20 miles past the St Augustine dealer and continue north until I get off of I295 at the US1 to Callahan exit.  At that  point the transmission overheated message light comes on and I shut it down and get my son on the line to find me the closest Aamco to that location and it turns out to only be about 5 miles down the road of the next I295 exit.

I get there and speak with John and he does a 'free' road test and reads all the warning indicators with their handy dandy computer.  He tells me that the fluid is burnt and he'll have to take it all apart again to find out what the problem is.  I politely decline, having visions of being holed up now in Jacksonville for an interminable number of days and tell him that I'll press on, but I'd like a written report of all that he found.  He gives me a report and adds at the bottom that I declined warranty service.  I'm pretty sure that's going to turn out to be the way these slithering snakes will wiggle out of honoring their warranty, but at this point that's only a conjecture.  I'll report more as the saga continues.

I did make it home, but I had to stop every couple of hours for about an hour to let the transmission cool down each time the transmission overheated warning came on, but the whole trip I've got all these other bells and whistles sounding.   God bless you all and do yourself a favor and stay away from the Titusville Aamco shop.

Is Scaamco corporate aware of this RIPOFFREPORT?

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

If not, I would make them aware of it.  They might put some pressure on this POS.

Next if this loser advertises accepting credit cards, you might want to call up the card companies and inform them he is really NOT accepting their cards.

Next if you have a BBB in your area, make sure to file a complaint.  It can't hurt and in some cases you actually get a refund pretty quick.

Finally keep adding info here on a regular basis.  This gets the word out to MORE PEOPLE.

Isn't the internet great?

Oh yeah- sooner or later this will be over.  When it is, you have the option of vandalizing his business, his personal vehicles and whatever.  You can even follow him home.  Also you can post his personal info here for other people that might want to "phuckk" with him, if ya know what I mean.

Good Luck!

#6 General Comment

Show up with lawyer and tow truck

AUTHOR: brownsong - (USA)

I would show up with a lawyer and a tow truck. I am sure a lawyer will take your credit card. First thing monday, go talk to a lawyer. May even get a free consultation. They will advise you if what they are doing is legal. Bring along any paperwork you have. Get a little recorder and call the company and get them to admit on tape everything that they have done. Your lawyer will help you get your car. Good luck and please update.

Latest update

AUTHOR: Ted - (United States of America)

Well, the Aamco dealer in Titusville has now been holding my vehicle hostage for five days.  Now the story of the broken starter has changed and he refuses to take my credit card as payment for any services.  At this point even if I wanted him to do the all the work he wants to have done I can't pay him for it because it has to be a form of cash payment.  I've been unemployed for five years now and living on a fixed income and coming up with more than $3,000.00 for a vehicle repair in cash is pretty much out of the question.  It's fairly difficult for unemployed people to get new loans.  However, I'm trying my best not to let this get me down.  God bless you all who read this and just consider your choices carefully if you're ever in need of transmission work or considering this particular Aamco franchisee for any kind of auto services.  Just a point to consider, I called around to three transmission repair businesses listed in my local yellow pages and the R&R transmission charge runs anywhere from $350.00 - $575.00.  I did call the Aamco dealer in Greenville and he wants $750.00. for the same service.  Aamco International, by the way refuses to get involved claiming that they have no control over their franchisee's charges or business practices other than they honor the Aamco name and reputation.  It would seem to me that that's based on a fairly loose definition of 'honor'.

The reason they want you to drop off your car

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

is so they can "tinker" with it.

If ya know what I mean...

STAY AWAY!

AAMCO Titusville/USA

AUTHOR: BLOWSNOW68 - (United States of America)

I WAS at a local oil change shop in Titusville and they heard noise from under my car they told me to go to AAMCO ASAP!!!!! well they wanted me to drop off my car in the morning for the day!!!! HELL NO I went to the garage down the road and they told me its an old car and its fine!!! GLAD I DID THAT!! I had a problem with AAMCO IN Schenectady NY/Albany NY They told me it was gonna be 1300 to fix my car so he asked for 700 upfront( he said 800 if he had the parts in-house") so the week goes by and the day before it was suppose to be ready i called them and he said " OH I was gonna call you but i got busy there are more problems and the new total is gonna be 3500!!! " when i signed 1300 he laughed and said well you can still come tomorrow and make a payment! WTF A PAYMENT!!!!! wow i was mad!!! they kept my car and told me it was storage fees!!!!! i wonder if 700 is a corporate scam they use for all customers???? the reason im even writing this is because i almost got scamed myself AGAIN not being from titusville i was gonna trust the local oil change place but I THEN REMEMBERED THE ass-rape i got from AAMCO IN NY!!!! OH YEA btw aamco in albany replaced my tranny 2 times in 6 WEEKS and i was told i had a warranty with my new tranny! lucky i had my extended warranty package that paid for my new tranny when i bought my car but they lied to me and SCAMMED ME!!!!! SORRY AAMCO IS A SCAM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN SCAMMED FOR 700??????

Demanding cash or check

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Is a SURE SIGN of a pending RIPOFF!

DONT DO IT!

WHY have these guys do ANYTHING for ya?

Thats like fighting with the chef at a restaurant and then asking him to cook you some food.

BAD IDEA!

Get your vehicle away from there asap or get the authorities involved and some legal advice.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE PLACES!

update

AUTHOR: Ted - (United States of America)

So here's an update.  Now, because I have placed this complaint on this site they are refusing to do the work unless paid by cash or cashier's check upfront.  Finally got Steve to agree to do the work and without the upfront, but still must be by cash or cashier's check and they still refuse to release my vehicle without the $700.00 payment which apparently now must be sent by cash or cashier's check.  Bottom line it's now getting tougher and tougher for me to redeem my vehicle.  Help!!!!!!!

Aamco- SO MANY REPORTS!

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

STAY AWAY from these places!

a ripoff every time!

Its probably cheaper to buy a new car than deal with them.

If they fix your car, its just for long enough to make it to the next Scammco!

You probably only needed some transmission fluid...

HOW TO GET YOUR CAR BACK

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

FIRST GO (PHYSICLY GO) TO THE PLACE WHERE YOUR CAR WAS TOWED, SECOND, RAISE THE HOOD AND SEE IF anything HAS BEEN DONE, bet there's NO work done.
Then simply have another wrecker standing by to hookup and GO.

Odds are that there's NOTHING been done to your car