Complaint Review: Aamco

• Submitted: Fri, March 19, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, January 20, 2012

• Reported By:Tampa Florida
Aamco
W. Brandon Blvd. Brandon, Florida U.S.A.

Aamco ripoff and terrible work Brandon Florida

*Consumer Comment: Been a customer since 1995 for a reason...

*UPDATE Employee: .02% of our customers report a problem.

*UPDATE Employee: 1 report in 6 years

*Consumer Comment: Considering Legal Action

*Author of original report: Revenge? bacame violent calling me names and cursing me up and down

I was ripped off and trapped into the repairs by lies and dishonesty. Last sat. I had to limp my 2001 Dodge Dakota to the Aamco in brandon. They did a "free" diagnostic and told me the torque converter was bad but would not give and estimate. I told them I did not have alot of money and wanted to know a cost. They siad they would have to pull the trans. to give an estimate at a 389.00 fee to go towards any repairs. Well I don't know anything about transmissions so I signed the paperwork and the owner Sam told me they would not start on it till mon. since it was already 10:00 and they close at 12.

So since I don't have any money it made me nervous and I called several other shops and got firm estimates over the phone from 350-500.00 at the dealer all with new parts. On mon. morning at 7:15 am before they got there I called the owner again and TOLD him I wanted to know the cost BEFORE they started bacause I need to get the best price and I had gotten prices for the repair over the phone. He told me they already started on the removal so it was too late. Since I did not have the 400 to give them to put it back together and go somewhere else and the dealer gave me a 500.00 estimate I thought it would be safe, nobody is higher than the dealer.

Later that day they came to me with 2600.00 estimate for a full rebuild using rebuilt and refurbeshed parts that were costing more than NEW retail parts from the dealer. (he called Eddie at Jerry Ulm Dodge a liar)After going back and forth all day he reminded me that I already owed him for the removal anyway so I was screwed. He arranged finaincing somehow and I had to give them 300.00 down. I was trapped and had no choice it had gone too far and I neede my truck fixed. I went over the fluid requirements with Mark the manager 4 times to make sure they would be using the right full synthetic fluid REQUIRED by Dodge for my transmission and they went about fixing my truck.

At this point I knew I was getting ripped off but felt I had not choice. I picked up my truck wed. and the paperwork he had said I had to give him 489.00 down instead of the 300 we talked about. I went off and he got it changed but tried to threaten to not give me my truck if I did not give him the money. On the 2 mile drive back to my office it was slipping and shuddering all the way. I was furious and called Mark. He gave me some comp. excuse and told me I would have to drop it back off to fix the problem. Not wanting to give my truck back to him I said I would come the next day on my lunch hr. and wait for it . He told me that they did not have the machine to "flash" my comp. that it had to go to another shop. I offered to go directlt to that shop to keep my truck. Mark then relutantly told me that they had still accidentally put the wrong fluid in my trans. even though I went over it with him 4 times.

So the next day I HAD to drop it off again but at least they got me a rental right? Well one that the co held money out of MY acct. to guarntee please don't do me no favors right? The owner said that all synthetic fluid was just an additive and that was what they were going to do just add the additive. That day I called the other shops again and they all said the same thing," putting the wrong fluid in damages the parts and takes years off the life of the transmission". They still would not replace the fluid and just put in the additive. That thursday afternoon I got my truck back and it is still slipping in the passing gear and sometimes not shifting right at all.

I don't want to call the same Aamco or any one for that matter to fix it so I have tried to call and email the corporate offices with no responce. I have stopped payment on the 300.00 but they already have the rest from the finance co. What I want from them is all the money returned and the trans. fixed by another co. with a lifetime warrentee. Who knows how much damage I am causeing to my truck from their bad repairs. If somebody can help me let me know.
Thanks,

Christopher
Tampa, Florida

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Aamco Transmissions

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2004 10:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aamco/Brandon-Florida/Aamco-ripoff-and-terrible-work-Brandon-Florida-84623. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aamco

Been a customer since 1995 for a reason...

AUTHOR: Mrs. D. Fawkes - (United States of America)

I would not take my vehicles anyplace else. Actually, they don't see me too often because there is no *bull* when I take my vehicles there. We're still driving paid-for, high-mileage, perfectly running, multiple vehicles that only dare a few cosmetic issues because of these gentlemen. The problem gets fixed, warranties are honored and good advice is given. I found this location in 1995 when I had gone to another Tampa Aamco and my beloved sports car was mistreated. Sam at this Brandon Aamco not only fixed the problem, but he told me exactly what the other shop had done to make sure I'd come back with a worse issue. That was in 1995. It is now January 2012 and later this week we will be dropping off the RV for regular service because past experience has taught me that LazyDays RV in Tampa will definitely rip us off and Aamco Brandon absolutely will NOT. Our adult daughter takes her vehicle to this shop as well. Mark and Sam have seen our children grow up to now having children of their own and prior to getting married in 2000, I also got unsolicited dating advice as well, lol. Over the years I have recommended many friends and co-workers to bring their vehicles to Aamco Brandon and will not hesitate to continue. Those same people I recommended have had similar experiences and thanked me for sending them to a place that saved them money over a previous estimate. I trust that when my daughter - who is not auto-saavy and barely knows a bottle of oil from a bottle of nail polish - takes her car there, she is safe. If Mark says "the coffee is burned," just pour it out.  I have known management to quickly fire a tech who didn't maintain their standards rather than send the customer off with a bad repair and will fix a repair that just isn't right, if you let them know about it.  Also, if you've done something stupid to your vehicle or somebody else has done something stupid to your vehicle, they will tell you about it - no, they don't have a crystal ball, and it could take a minute to find out what it was.  Relationship and quality work matter to this family owned business.  if I needed a referral for the best place to have anything else done, i.e., upholstery, etc, I can trust their referrals. I have noticed that when I walk into a place of business and say "Mark or Sam at Aamco told me to come see you" there is a nod of respect, I'm no longer just any customer who walked in the door. They are not perfect but they will fix your car, truck, RV, whatever has an engine, transmission or clutch, until it runs the way it is supposed to, because its not just an auto repair facility, its a partnership. You also make lifelong friends here; these are folks whose families I wouldn't hesitate to help if I knew they needed it. Aamco Brandon has been part of the community for a very long time and there is good reason for it.

.02% of our customers report a problem.

AUTHOR: Mark - (United States of America)

Today is September 15 2011.  There has been no legal action by either of these parties to date.  Mark is now the sole manager.  We have had 2 complaints since this site was started.  This particular complaint does not even describe a problem.  Since 2004 we have done our free check for over 10000 customers.  These two people represent .02%.  I wish I could say that all the rest of our customers were satisfied.  That we all not is not true.  However, we do try very hard to satisfy our customers and we succeed most of the time, we do take responsibility for our mistakes and we do warranty everything we do.

1 report in 6 years

AUTHOR: Mark - (United States of America)

It is now October 2010.  This gentleman's vehicle is still working as far as we know.  The repair facility is under new management.  We have had 1 report in 6 years.  We did fix his truck.

Transmission repairs are very expensive and because of that most people hate when they have a problem.

Look at the end of his request.  He wants a full refund, the vehicle repaired by someone else and wants us to warranty it for the rest of his life.

Considering Legal Action

AUTHOR: April - (U.S.A.)

Hi Christopher! I am also a victim of AAMCO's Deceptive practices!! I live in the Tampa Bay area and I would suggest that you file a complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services 1-800-435-7352 or online at www.800helpfla.com this method is the fastest way.

Then file another complaint with the Florida Atorney General's Office Charlie Crist! Next because you live here too, it makes it even better.

Contact MONA at ABC Action News her number is 813.354.2885 tell her it's regarding your ordeal with AAMCO in Brandon and let her know that this is not just a local problem but a national crisis as you can see from this site.

Be pesistent in contacting her and leave messages she will call you back! There is strength in numbers so the more people that contact her local or long distance, the better exposure this corruption will recieve! It really is pathetic and disgusting! I am looking into getting a class action suit started so if you are interested in obtaining some justice and preventing others from experieinceing what we've gone through reply to this post! Best wishes!

Revenge? bacame violent calling me names and cursing me up and down

AUTHOR: Christopher - (U.S.A.)

Well yesterday evening I went to get some dinner. As I went to my truck I saw a puddle under my truck. It was transmission fluid AND engine oil.

I called the owner Sam and after a minuite he bacame violent calling me names and cursing me up and down. We hung up and I called the fianancing co. and my bank to make sure they would not get their money.

This morning I crawled under my truck to see exactly where it was leaking from. To my supprise a Small leak from the transmission and a LARGE oil leak from the engine. It looked like it was coming from the filter seal but when I started the truck to find it exactly I was wrong. It was coming from the TOP of the K&N top of the line filter. Right where the notches for a socket are ( to help remove it they put a place to use a socket on top).

I bought a new one and replased it along with the quart of oil I dropped. I took it back to the parts house and although they could not find conclusive proof of it they had NEVER seen ANY filter leak from the TOP of the filter where there would have to be a hole for oil to escape.

Draw your own conclusions but my atty and their corporate WILL hear of this.