efficient

• Reported By:NA Pennsylvania
Aamco
Reading, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Aamco ripoff INSTALLS BAD TRANSMISSION!! Reading Pennsylvania

*General Comment: Biggest rip offs in town!

*Consumer Comment: Excellent Service At AAMCO!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Review is from 2003, Business closed. Not the same owner or location as reading shop.

I was browsing the site and noticed several other complaints about the Aamco Transmission company, and I decided to share my piece of the story.

Several years ago I bought a 1994 Hyundai Excel from a nearby car lot (which I've also found out to be a ripoff... the lot's name is Brunner's Auto Sales, and it is located in Fleetwood, PA).

The car came with a 3-month warranty, which turned out to be a great thing. I had noticed the transmission to be rather noisy, but it seemed to pull fine, not slipping, so I decided to live with it.

About 2 1/2 months after purchasing the car, the transmission died altogether. I had the car towed to the Aamco in Reading, Pennsylvania, as it was one of the places the warranty would allow to work on the car. After contacting the warranty company, Aamco replaced the transmission with "a used/rebuilt transmission of equal or lesser mileage." The car only had 65,000 miles on it at that time (roughly).

Upon getting the car back (which was nearly two weeks later, I might add), I noticed the transmission was noisy just as the other one was. At this point, I decided that it must just be characteristic of the Excel. Also, my father, who picked the car up for me, told me that the tech at Aamco told him that he had opened up the transmission and checked it out, and that it was in excellent condition.

Now, Aamco has a 12-month warranty on their work, the "excellent" transmission they put in died 13 months after it was installed. At this point, I was getting pretty tired of the situation, and since it was not longer under warranty I decided to put a used transmission in myself, since I am fairly well-versed on cars, particularly transmissions. I chose a transmission out of a U-pull-it yard and took it home to install it.

The very first thing I noticed was that my transmission (the one from Aamco) was missing about 5 of the bolts that hold it to the engine. What happened? Where they just TOO BUSY to correctly mount my tranny to my engine?

Secondly, after installing the new transmission, which went very easily with less bolts to remove (go figure...), I fired up the car and took it for a spin. The new transmission was ABSOLUTELY SILENT! That noise was the sound of a BAD transmission. Had that Aamco tech actually opened up the trans he installed, he would have definitely seen that it was no good and on its way out... which leaves me with 2 conclusions. 1) He did not open the transmission at all, and he simply installed a bad one, ignored the noise it made, and passed it off to me, LYING to us in the process... OR 2) He opened it up, saw that it was no good, installed it anyway, heard the noise it made, and still passed it off as a good transmission, again lying to us.

I let the situation go, as the work's warranty had just expired at this point. It also was an easier situation for me, since I was able to cheaply and fairly easily replace the transmission myself, but to the everyday person who is not inclined with vehicles, this situation could have been VERY expensive and unsettling. So, please.

D O N O T T A K E Y O U R C A R T O A A M C O !!

Please let this be a warning. I hope that at least a few people choose a small shop instead, after reading this article. I would also like to mention that after this situation, I will not take my car to ANY CHAIN SHOP ever again. Either I do the work, or it goes to Ream's Auto in Fleetwood, PA, as the owner is the only person I trust anymore to touch my car.

Hope this helps,
-Concerned Driver in Pennsylvania

N/A
N/A, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2003 02:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Aamco/Reading-Pennsylvania-19611/Aamco-ripoff-INSTALLS-BAD-TRANSMISSION-Reading-Pennsylvania-74436. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Aamco

#1 General Comment

Biggest rip offs in town!

AUTHOR: Dave Jeremy - ()

I took my 2004 Ford Explorer there because I broke down right up the street! They have had my truck back 4 times to fix a different problem! I took it to another local shop and after a closer look the guy told me that was not my origional transmission. We marked the transmission and I took it back to be repaired again and found they had swapped it again. I am currently speaking to a lawyer about that! The service was terrible and they charged me double of what everyone else would have charged.I have asked several times to speak with the owners and have never had the chance because I was told that they work from home! As far as there employees I have spoken  with 2 of them one claiming he checks every car as it comes in and out and he had no clue what was wrong! After asking him several times he told me he was not payed enough to deal with customers and I would have to speak with James. The other employee was not at all happy with the place either! I regret taking my truck there and would not recommend it to anyone else. This place should be shut down for theft! I have been dealing with this since Oct.2012 and now I will let my lawyers have a go at it!

Excellent Service At AAMCO!

AUTHOR: Max Robitzer - (United States of America)

In January 2012 I had a Volvo transmission rebuild at AAMCO (On LANCASTER AVENUE, READING). Although not cheap the service was great and transmission performs perfectly.  Highly recommend AAMCO LANCASTER AVENUE, READING.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: AAMCO Auto Repair & Transmission Sh - (United States of America)

I keep seeing this old review floating around on Google,  This review is from 2003 for a shop owned by someone else at a location close to our current location.  It has been closed since before we opened our shop back in 2007.  Please know this is not the same shop or owner of the one that is open now and has been for over 5 years.  We take great pride in trying to serve our customers the best way we can. All of our employees have been with us for 2+ years some as long as 4 years, they say its because of how we run our shop.  If anyone has any trouble at our shop we strongly encourage you tell our manager James of any issues you have and if that does not resolve it to ask to speak to me (Jeff) or my wife (Tammie) so we can help resolve any issues they best way we can.  You can also reach us via email on our website.  Just wanted to set the record straight, Thank you for your time.  Jeff & Tammie Arms  Independently owned and operated - AAMCO Auto Repair & Transmissions located at 1117 Lancaster Ave Reading, PA 19607.