Complaint Review: About The Children

• Updated: Wed, May 08, 2013

• Reported By: Keith — Wallingford Connecticut
About The Children
Internet, California USA

About The Children Sent me the wrong custody paperwork and refused to refund any money Internet California

After going through months of battling with my ex just to be able to see my kids I decided action needed to be taken, but like most father's, had no idea where to begin. I unfortunately do not make enough money to afford a lawyer so I found out about this organization online and decided to give it a try. Biggest waste of time and money.

When the paperwork was first emailed to me it was very brief and didn't have any specifics for what I was asking for at all. This made me question if the paperwork was correct. Sure I was asking for joint custody and visitation but that is all the paperwork stated. It didn't state that I was asking for every other weekend or shared holidays or anything. I called to question this and got a response of "we can not give legal advice".... this is when I first started to question why I ever paid these people close to $1000 to help me.

So I started doing my own research and contacted a wonderful lawyer in my area who felt bad that I got myself into this mess and offered to meet with me for free to go over the paperwork I had received (yes, there are still nice people in this world after all!). I met with her and she said the paperwork was awful, just as I had suspected. She changed pretty much all of the affidavit and petition (the 2 documents I brought to her). She was incredibly helpful and I sincerely wish I had the money to hire her! I emailed About the Children to let them know what this lawyer said so that maybe they should question using this "attorney" in the future that filled out my paperwork. I received a nasty reply back from someone named Danielle which stated as follows:

"We are not going to rewrite your documents according to what an attorney you met with told you to do - GO TO THAT ATTORNY AND HIRE THEM."

Nice, huh? Long story short, I finally got the documents written to my satisfaction and they were sent to me on 4/10 and were to get here in 3-5 business days. Well, they mailed it to the wrong address. How does this happen? My address is all over all of the paperwork. So after fighting with UPS to find out where the paperwork ended up I finally received my documents 2 weeks later!

I went to file the paperwork the next day and was told that I could not even use the documents. The court needed specific documents and many, many other forms. I know About the Children states that other forms might be needed, but this was a tremendous amount of other forms - forms that I feel an attorney in the area should know are needed...

I ended up having to take a day out of work, go to the courthouse which is 2 hours from where I currently live and file the paperwork myself. I was able to use 1 of the forms that About the Children provided me. However, the Summons that they provided was for a divorce case, not something I am going through, so I had to redo that as well as fill out all of the other forms. It took me 4 hours. I did it all myself and it was processed and filed that day. I wish I had just gone to the courthouse in the first place. They were incredibly helpful and the forms were free.

I called About the Children to let them know that I couldn't use their documents, did it all myself and made them aware that the attorney they used sent me the completely wrong Summons to which they replied that I should have noticed that! Ummm, the reason that I hired these people in the first place was because I had no idea what paperwork to use. They refuse to give me any sort of financial compensation.

They did not supply what I paid them for in the least. I am not even asking for a full refund. They can keep the start-up fee and the $25 a month but I paid a lot of money for paperwork that I ended up filling out myself. Save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and contact the courthouse that you will be using. They are more than willing to help you. They will give you the CORRECT paperwork up front and help you fill it out at no charge.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/08/2013 09:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/About-The-Children/Internet-California/About-The-Children-Sent-me-the-wrong-custody-paperwork-and-refused-to-refund-any-money-I-1049311. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on About The Children