Complaint Review: Above the Rest Fencing and Decks

• Submitted: Mon, April 16, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, September 11, 2012

• Reported By: Ralph, Homeowner — San Rafael California United States of America
Above the Rest Fencing and Decks
454 Las Gallinas Avenue San Rafael, California United States of America

Above the Rest Fencing and Decks Matthew Olyphant, Owner Poor Materials, No Work Ethic, Refusal to Fix Shoddy Work, and Leaving Job Site Without Completing Contract and Dozens of Homes Left Without Fences San Rafael, California

*Consumer Comment: Another satisfied customer

*Consumer Comment: Another false report by the same person

*Consumer Comment: Above the Rest Fence and Deck

*Consumer Comment: Homeowner

*Author of original report: Five Months No fence

*Consumer Comment: Satisfied Customer

*UPDATE Employee: ATR DOES GREAT WORK!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Fraudulent Report

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Fraudulent Report

Our homeowners association voted to spend a chunk of our money on replacing the fencing in our subdivision. We met with several contractors and chose to go with Matthew Olyphant's company Above the Rest Fencing and Decks because the price was right, even though we were skeptical of hiring a company with no real history in the area. We are all long time residents of our community so we we hoped we made the right decision.

Immediately after the job started, we knew we may have made a mistake. The materials from the boards to the hardware were as cheap and low quality as anyone could purchase. When several of the residents brought this up to the owner, Matthew Olyphant, he dismissed our concerns and refused to make changes. We were all a little upset, but figured we would see what turned out. The troubles did not end they got worse.

Fences were irregular, one house had one cheap boards and the next door house had another. Noting matched. The low quality hardware would not keep gates shut and some were falling apart within a month. We continued trying to meet with Mr. Olyphant but he became caustic with several residents to the point where they were afraid.

After three long months of poor work and a lousy business manner, Mr. Olyphant and his crew up and left without completing the job. Many homes were left unfinished with no fences at all. We now have to find someone to complete the contract spending more of our funds. We will also need to repair alot of the work done because it was so poorly built.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2012 01:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Above-the-Rest-Fencing-and-Decks/San-Rafael-California-94903/Above-the-Rest-Fencing-and-Decks-Matthew-Olyphant-Owner-Poor-Materials-No-Work-Ethic-Re-869134. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Above the Rest Fencing and Decks

Another satisfied customer

AUTHOR: Russell - (United States of America)

I hope it is allright for me to repeat my review here on Matthew Olyphant and Above the Rest Fences and Decks.

As a satisfied customer, I have built a good relationship with Matthew and his company Above the Rest  Fences and Decks.  They have delivered fantastic work and the fence I needed.  Their price was the lowest and the quality of their work of highest standard.

We are not aware of any such stories going around and it is clear from the story that it has been fabricated.  Word goes around the neighbourhood very fast when such a drastic event occurs.

Matthew is a respected member of society and his company has a reputation for delivering good work with quality material at a reasonable cost.

Another false report by the same person

AUTHOR: Janet - (United States of America)

I would like to repeat my consumer review for Above The Rest Fences and Decks and Matthew Olyphant which has been a very postive one.  They have been professional and have done an outstanding job.  This seems to be another false report from the same person with negative follow up comments also from the same person.  I don't understand why you would like to damage Matthew Olyphant, he is a trustworthy businessman and my family and I have been pleased with their sevices.

Above the Rest Fence and Deck

AUTHOR: Hank Sherman - (United States of America)

While helping my son locate a contractor to perform some work at his home, I discovered this report. They gave me the run around on a decks several years ago and it took me filing a lawsuit to get their attention. I lived with a dangerous deck for months while they made promises to fix the work and never followed through. Filed my own report on this company.

Homeowner

AUTHOR: J.G. - (United States of America)

My neighbor meant to warn other folks in the area, but made a few mistakes in doing that.
Our homes are south of San Rafael in the western part of Marin (city) but I think he did not want to anger these folks. Nobody was looking to cause fighting in our neighborhood.This job could have been better managed and ran smoother. It is not finished so I will wait to make final judgement. There have been problems along the way and it has been a lot longer than we were told but I have worked with construction and thats how these jobs go.

Five Months No fence

AUTHOR: Ralph M, Homeowner - (USA)

I live where this work is taking place and I have not had a fence in months. These guys started this work five months ago and have left the job couple of times. Last I heard they were not finishing up as the contract said. I never heard of a job taking so long and having so many problems with homeowners and poor materials being used. Should have been an easy job that made good money from, but its not and most of us are tired of waiting. When I get a fence up I will use my name but you aren't using names, so I see nothing wrong with that. Work should have been done and its not and the workers had to replace all the hardware because it was so cheap. The wood is irregular and we were told nothing we can do about it. I dont make no claim to be a spelling champion but that is not what is wrong here.

Satisfied Customer

AUTHOR: Reynolds - (United States of America)

This is obviously a false complaint being aimed at Above the Rest fences. We are were very happy with the design and workmanship Matthew and crew provided on our recent fence job. We get lots of compliments on the design and the materials used. Matthew and his crew do excellent work and they stand behind their work - well after the project ended, they came by and adjusted a gate door within a day of inquiring.  I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

ATR DOES GREAT WORK!

AUTHOR: Above The Rest Builders, Inc. - (USA)

This site is very useful, but its too bad that there are those that miss use it, and post fake complaints like this one regarding Above The Rest Fences and Decks.
Matthew is an excellent business owner and his company does outstanding work in, and around, the greater Bay Area. The person who wrote this complaint is obviously a 'fake' and is harassing this company and its staff because the project they are referencing to is not in San Rafael. I have seen the project first hand, and the quality of the work as well as the materials and its is outstanding.
Above The Rest Builders is a reputable company that has been doing business for several years and has built a reputation for being, Above The Rest.
Its unfortunate that this site is being miss used for someones obvious harassment.
 - ATR staff

#8 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Fraudulent Report

AUTHOR: Above The Rest Builders, Inc. - (USA)

NOT only is this complaint Bogus and Fake and Fraudulent.... and filled with typos! but the project is NOT in San Rafael, Ca. and there is NO home owner named Ralph in the community where this project took place.
- Real Manage, San Rafael (property management company)

#9 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Fraudulent Report

AUTHOR: Above The Rest Builders, Inc. - (United States of America)

This report is a "Fake" and "Fraudulent" and should be removed ASAP!
The project being referred to in this "bogus" complaint is currently underway and scheduled to be finished soon. The materials supplied are from Golden State Lumber and of the best quality. If you wish to inquire within contact Golden State Lumber or Real Manage in San Rafael, property management company for the HOA.
-Above The Rest Builder, Inc.

Baker