Complaint Review: Academy of Ultrasound

• Reported By: Cindy — El Cajon California United States of America
Academy of Ultrasound
Mobile, AL 36695 Internet United States of America

Academy of Ultrasound Breech of Contract, Deceptive Business Practices Internet

October 2010, my friend and I enrolled in an online ultrasound school called Academy of Ultrasound with a total 80 credits to complete the program.  We were informed by the administrator, Jennifer Sheldon that if my friend and I registered and paid cash of the 18 month program, we would receive substantial discounts.  The discount that was offered and that we took advantage of was one full price enrollment fee of $16,500 and the other enrollment fee would be reduced 50% for a rate of $8,250.  Total for both students was $24,750.  The school took the total for both students and split it in half for a total enrollment fee of $12,375.  My friend and I paid in full with a check.  Mine was from our retirement savings.

Approximately 6 months into the program, it was almost impossible for either of us to contact the director John Sheldon when we had questions regarding the course work.  She and I both became concerned.  Often times, there would be student notes indicating to have knowledge of a particular figure (diagram/picture).  When the textbook and page was indicated where to find the figure, more often than not, it referenced the incorrect page.

August 10, 2011, I contacted John Sheldon and told him that due to the course being confusing, the fact he was impossible to reach and coordinates being incorrect, I decided to quit the program and ask for a refund.

I have the contract which states that as long as a student has completed less than 60% of the units (80), they are entitled to a pro-rata refund.  I had only completed 27 units; therefore I am eligible for a refund.  No where in the contract was their a requirement which would allow or not allow for a refund.  The only stipulation was that the student had to have completed less than 60% of the 80 units required.

Jennifer and John Sheldon are now telling me I am not eligible based upon the fact I was given a reduced rate for enrolling with my friend and both stated I had completed over 60% of the units; which is absolutely untrue.

I would like to report the Academy of Ultrasound for breaking the contract and misrepresentation of their promises.  I have documentation substantiating my claim, including my cancelled check which was cashed.  Upon being told they refused to refund my money, they also locked me out of the program.  I have been in contact with several students and people familiar with the school and Jennifer and John Sheldon.  It appears they are guilty of scamming more people that originally thought.  Not only do their actions prove I am entitled to my money back, they border on criminal behavior.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2012 02:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Academy-of-Ultrasound/internet/Academy-of-Ultrasound-Breech-of-Contract-Deceptive-Business-Practices-Internet-937193. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Academy of Ultrasound