recommendations

• Reported By: Craig — Bradford Pennsylvania United States of America
Account Control Technology
5300 Kings Island Dr Mason, Ohio United States of America

Account Control Technology Tapping, Stalking, Tracking Mason, Ohio

*Author of original report: Associated in some way

*General Comment: ----

Today I was contacted by Alicia with ACT. She was looking for my several years estranged sister. I have no information. After hanging up, I thought of something. I am at a friend's house. This address and phone number has never been listed as mine, so how would ACT know to contact me here? They aren't relatives or anyone that could be traced to me by official means.

I called back, Alicia could not answer my questions, so I asked for her supervisor. I asked the supervisor about it. He said they get information from 'vendors'. I know some companies sell information, but I have never used this address or phone number, so why would the vendor even have it? On only a couple occasions I have used this as an alternate phone number, but that was with employers since I was on call. I also asked what business ACT is in. The supervisor refused to tell me. He said to Google it. When I did, that's when I learned that they are a college loan collection agency with numerous complaints on Ripoff Report. I am sure I have the right one because the phone number I was called from matches the one listed on one of the complaints here.

Here is my concern: I cannot think of any legal or official way that ACT would have known to contact me at my friend's house. What are they doing? Tapping lines of debtors' family to see who they call and harvest phone numbers? Following relatives of people they are attempting to collect from? I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but that's the only explanation I can think of.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2013 03:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Account-Control-Technology/Mason-Ohio-45040/Account-Control-Technology-Tapping-Stalking-Tracking-Mason-Ohio-1012439. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Account Control Technology

Associated in some way

AUTHOR: Craig - (United States of America)

That's the problem. I don't even take calls here. Except for one, and only one employer, and aren't employers restricted from selling that number? There is no 'associated with you in some way." If I am at my friend's house I get my messages on my cell phone when I get into town. I don't even order pizza from here. I don't have any traceable connection to my friend's house or phone number. Period.

#2 General Comment

----

AUTHOR: anonnnn - (United States of America)

I am quite surprised that you think any company that has your information, as rare as that information might be to you or people who know you, think they don't have legal ways of obtaining it.  For example, it's as simple as you ordering a pizza with that telephone number.  There are people practically waiting at the back door of that pizza place to buy your information.

It's completely legal to obtain your information and use it to contact you or to try and contact someone who may be associated with you in some way.  As for not telling you what the nature of the call was about, it is illegal to share information about a federal loan with anyone but the person they are trying to contact, unless the person they are trying to contact has given verbal or written consent to discuss it with a third party, it's the same as medical information.  Would you want someone to give your personal information about a debt to someone with out your knowledge or consent?