Complaint Review: AccuQuest Hearing Centers

• Updated: Mon, May 05, 2014

• Reported By: Saba — Natick Massachusetts United States of America
AccuQuest Hearing Centers
5 Commonwealth Road, Ste. 2D Natick, Massachusetts United States of America

AccuQuest Hearing Centers Prices of Hearing Aids are a BIG Ripoff Natick, Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: Accuquest was great to me!

*General Comment: Mistake

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Sense a Scam

I would like to file a complaint against AccuQuest in Natick, MA. Jim Lakos, the hearing instrument specialist used my mild hearing loss as a pawn to to convince me that a pair of $4900 hearing aids was well worth the expense. I am now embroiled in a fight to retrieve the entire $2000 cash deposit I put down on November 19, 2012. I wore them every day for about two weeks but I didnt notice any improvement in my hearing.  Despite the adjustments Jim made during subsequent office visits, I returned the hearing aids within two weeks of receiving them.

Being the persuasive salesman, Jim was so confident that in-the-canal hearing aids would help my hearing loss. He tends to rave about the Starkey products he sells and is overconfident about their performance, even though he is not hearing impaired. The price of the new devices was also...$4900, which I thought was an odd coincidence.

When the customized in-the-canal aids were fitted, I immediately didnt like them. They felt heavy and were nothing more than cheap ear plugs with an amplifier, microphone and computer chip. Consequently, I left the office without any hearing aids. At this point in the process, AccuQuest still had my $2000 and I lost all trust in Jims ability to fit me with proper hearing aids. The exorbitant price was becoming a great concern to me.

The next day I called Jim to cancel the entire order. He used his persuasive selling skills again and was sure that he could find a pair of hearing aids that would work for me if I gave him another chance. Reluctantly, I did. He did some research on his own and called me a few days later. I told him not to do any more work or process anything more until after my doctors appointment at Mass Eye and Ear on Tuesday, January 15, 2013.

After my appointment, I called and spoke to his receptionist. I firmly stated that I want to cancel my order and did not want her to transfer my call to Jim. On Wednesday, January 16 around 5:30p.m. she left me a voicemail stating that it was no problem to cancel the order and have a refund processed and that Jim would call with the details on Thursday. He called  at noon and said that the refund will be processed--less the 10% restocking fee off of the full $4900 price! The thought of losing $490 to was totally unacceptable to me! I strongly believe that I am entitled to a full refund under Massachusetts law 265 CMR 8.00. I returned the only pair of hearing aids that I used within the 30-day trial and AccuQuest has held my $2000 since November 19, 2012.

So many hearing-impaired consumers are being duped, ripped off or scammed into purchasing costly hearing aids when less expensive ones may work just as well. Retailers charge thousands of dollars for incredibly small devices that cost so little to manufacture...because they can. Profits of 400-500% are common. Its time to blow the hearing aids dispensers' cover and expose them for unethical business practices in an unregulated industry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/13/2013 03:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AccuQuest-Hearing-Centers/Natick-Massachusetts-01760/AccuQuest-Hearing-Centers-Prices-of-Hearing-Aids-are-a-BIG-Ripoff-Natick-Massachusetts-1013729. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AccuQuest Hearing Centers

Accuquest was great to me!

AUTHOR: Jane - ()

I had seen this before I responded to their advertisement but a friend of mine said she'd gone there and the gentleman was nothing short of professional. I relented and went to see what their free hearing test was. I knew I was having some trouble. I asked about this complaint and was informed Mr. Lakos was fired. Chance was extremely educational and made me really understand why I was was having the difficulty I was having.

After the final test, there were a lot, he gave me many different options with price ranges to help me fit my budget and my lifestyle. I chose the middle of the road pair and I've been hearing things I haven't heard in years, it's incredible. I'm very grateful to Chance as he's been so sweet and understanding while I've gone through this transition.

I just felt I needed to say something here so other people can have the same experience I did, and not be dissuaded because of a poor employee they had previously.

#2 General Comment

Mistake

AUTHOR: Ellen - ()

I am NOT the owner of the company, or any other company. I mistakenly checkmarked the wrong field.  Sorry for any confusion.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Sense a Scam

AUTHOR: Ellen - ()

I have received come-ons in the mail from AccuQuest Hearing Centers of Speedway, Indiana.

They are offering me all kinds of free tests and services. They say that I am one of the first 35 people to be chosen to participate in this "field test."

There are two problems.  Number one, I don't have the slightest problem with my hearing--my hearing is just fine.

Number two, when I tried to call their phone number to ask them to stop sending me this "junk mail," there is no connection.  They list only one phone number in two different places in the letter, but when I call--nothing!

This reeks of a scam to me, and I want others to be warned.