Complaint Review: Ace Hardward

• Submitted: Mon, March 23, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, April 11, 2009

• Reported By:Lincolnwood Illinois
Ace Hardward
5423 W. Devon Ave. Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Ace Hardware Ace Is Not The Place Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Poor Ed...

I went to the Ace Hardware at 5423 W. Devon in Chicago, IL and told Ed, the salesman that I was having a problem with my water heater. The TPR valve was leaking and there was no hot water coming out. Ed immediately blurted out, "Oh NO..you can't mess with that.. that's dangerous, you need a professional"!!

Although I am a very handy woman, I reluctantly took his advice. After all, isn't he supposed to be the helpful handy man? Taking his advice was an expensive mistake. It was also a mistake calling his referral: M&M Plumbing. Don't even get me started on those greedy gougers.

Well, I learned that when a TPR valve leaks you simply replace it. An item that can be purchased at Ace Hardware. The repair is so basic it's the plumbing equivalent of "changing a light blub". Apparently, Ed thought my female brain could not comprehend the high-tech intricacy of operating a wrench. I was so disgusted, I called Ace Corporate Headquarters.

Ed defended his advice to customer service claiming, I could have been scalded or maybe a house fire. Is He for Real?? Scalded.. huh? I had no hot water!! Did he think I would light the pilot with a gas can in my hand? In hindsight, out of curiosity, I went to Crafty Beaver (on Central) and Ace (on Montrose) and told the salesman exactly what I told Ed.

Both times I was escorted to the plumbing aisle and assisted. It is obvious Ed was more concerned about generating business for M&M Plumbing than the customers that rely on him for trusted advice. So instead of doing the repair myself for less than $15.00, I was charged a total of $200.00. The plumber charged me $135.00 and hour plus parts of which he charged me $65.00 for a $15.00 valve. Gee... thanks Ed, you have been so helpful.

Myra
Lincolnwood, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/23/2009 10:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ace-Hardward/Chicago-Illinois/Ace-Hardware-Ace-Is-Not-The-Place-Chicago-Illinois-436738. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ace Hardward

Poor Ed...

AUTHOR: Vimot - (U.S.A.)

If he advises you to go ahead and replace the part yourself and you get scalded or a fire starts, it's his fault. If he advises of these potential hazards and recommends consulting a professional and it costs money, it's his fault. Poor Ed. The fact remains that Ed was simply advising on what you should to. He recommended a plumbing company. Lincolnwood, being just outside of Chicago, must have NUMEROUS plumbers you could've (and should've) gotten estimates from. Ed works in an Ace Hardware store. He is most likely NOT a trained expert on each and every hot water heater out there. He was simply trying to be helpful in a layman's sense. It is HIGHLY doubtful that he received some kind of kick-back for referring you to the plumbers; again he was simply trying to be helpful. Since it is apparent you know how to use a computer and have internet access (or know someone who does) I'll mention THE most helpful tool you can have at your disposal for any type of issue such as the one you had: Google. Google it. I know hindsight is 20/20, but please leave poor Ed alone. And Ace Hardware while you're at it. I believe Ed is owed a BIG apology for what you have said about him here. NO RIPOFF.