Complaint Review: Active Periodicals

• Submitted: Mon, March 05, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, April 13, 2007

• Reported By:Seabrook Texas
Active Periodicals
450 SW 12th Avenue Deerfield Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Active Periodicals RIPOFF - Fraudulent Magazine Scam Ripoff Deerfield Beach Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: They cannot do anything to you

Here's my saga, been almost a year now, still going on. I got hooked in last March. I thought I was signing up for just a few Magazines for a few dollars a month, wasn't really sure because the girl was talking so fast. She said they would send written info along with a blue card that I needed to sign and send back, once they received the card they would send me the fantastic diamond watch. When I got the package of info I saw that I was actually signing up to pay $60 a month for 16 months. No way! I never returned the blue card, assuming that without my written signature they could not do anything. Was I wrong. They called a few weeks after I received the info package and I told them I did not want to sign up, they told me to call customer service. I neglected to call customer service, I really didn't think they could do anything without my written signature. So, I pretty much forgot about it until I started receiving magazines at end of June, none of which I wanted. I called customer service in mid July and told them I wanted to cancel, got the reply that I could not cancel. I was shocked, said I never signed anything, they said verbal agreement was enough. I was upset by this and told the girl they were stealing my money, she told me to F__K OFF and hung up. I can honestly say I have never had a customer service rep do that before. I waited about 20 minutes until I calmed down then I called them back. This time I calmly explained my circumstances, told them that I did not want the magazines and asked to cancel. The girl told me that she would have to speak to her supervisor. After 5 or 6 minutes on hold she came back and told me that her supervisor had agreed to give me a "courtesy cancel". Great, right? August comes around, they still charged my credit card and I was still getting magazines. September, same thing. In Sept. I cancelled my credit card so that they could no longer steal my money. At the same time I contacted all of the magazines and requested that they stop sending the magazine to me and cancel my subscriptions. Active Periodicals then started sending me bills, which I throw away. They have called me on the phone since then and I have told them they never had my written agreement to anything, then they play the recording from last March where I gave my verbal agreement. I asked her if she has a recording from July where the girl agreed to cancel, she accused me of lying and fraud, I hung up. Now they are sending me notices indicating that they are going to start legal proceedings. I throw those away also. Today they called, I hung up. They called back and left a message to demand I pay the entire balance that I owe, approx. $600. If I do not call back and make arrangements to pay what I owe by Thursday, they will turn my account over to their legal department. I don't know where it's going to go from here but I absolutely refuse to pay them one single penny more.

Laura
Seabrook, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2007 06:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Active-Periodicals/Deerfield-Beach-Florida-33442/Active-Periodicals-RIPOFF-Fraudulent-Magazine-Scam-Ripoff-Deerfield-Beach-Florida-238280. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Active Periodicals

#1 Consumer Suggestion

They cannot do anything to you

AUTHOR: Suzanna - (U.S.A.)

I have been though the same thing. They have so many phone marketing companies under their belt- it actually looks like an real business.
Just explain to the company you have the account though (either your bank or credit card) and get them to make a full stop on all transactions with the company.

Active Periodicals will call the pants off you unless you change your number and put it on the do-not-call list. If you get a letter in the mail from their legal department, it isn't real either. I received 3 every month in the beginning of 2006 and haven't been bothered by them since.

That is pretty much in order the harassment technique they've administered on me. Might be different for someone else- but I dont think they are that creative.