Complaint Review: Advanced Auto

• Submitted: Wed, October 20, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, October 20, 2010

• Reported By: Jen — Ocean New Jersey U.S.A.
Advanced Auto
Corlies Ave Neptune, New Jersey United States of America

Advanced Auto Bad Business Practices Neptune, New Jersey

Aug 28 I visited Advanced Auto looking for a part.  They did not have the part in stock and encouraged me to place a deposit to order the part for delivery next day at 9:00AM.  I was hesitant because I wanted to hit Auto Zone and see if they had the part in stock and was told if I found the part I could come back and cancel the order and my credit card would never be charged.

Sure enough 45 minutes later I am back at Advanced to cancel and they gave me a hard time and changed their story that when the part came in, they would return in and finalize cancellation.

I call the next day to confirm the cancellation.  I am told the part never arrived, but my card would not be charged until pick up of the item.  If I don't pick it up and sign the claim check, I will not be billed.

A few days later, they charged my credit card anyway.  The snafu, I left the beginning of September for an extended business trip for several months and out of state.  I am not present to physically go to the store to argue.

I call the store again and talk to this manager, Otto, who claims the part never arrived.  He didn't know how to process a credit by phone and he would call me back.  That call never came.

I sent an email to the corporate office in Roanoke, VA and received a response from a regional manager named Jared.  This guy seemed understanding.  He promised a gift card, and kissed my backside.  I told him all I cared about was getting the credit squared away.  He promised the store manager, Otto, would call when I got in from the office.

Otto called early and got my voice mail.  I was in a meeting and my cell was at my desk.  Otto left a message not only asking for the card number but the security code on the back of the card.  He then gave me his personal cell number and said he wasn't in the store.  Talk about a security risk..

I call my bank to try to initiate a temporary card# and code for this credit.  The bank initiates a dispute because this is highly suspect activity.

The bank speaks to Otto, the store manager.  They also speak to Jared, the regional manager.  Both claim that I picked up the part, refused to initiate the credit, and never knew that I was seeking a credit.  The ytell me bank I need to produce the part to get a credit.

I called Corporate and spoke to Kim two weeks ago and told her I paid the credit card and expected a refund check in the mail.  Kim promised this would happen.  I just sent a certified return receipt letter and filed a complaint with the NJ Div of Consumer Affairs reporting credit card fraud.

When I get home,  I guess I will have to take time off to file with small claims court for the credit ($121) and I will tack on damages and fees associated with the issue.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/20/2010 11:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advanced-Auto/Neptune-New-Jersey-/Advanced-Auto-Bad-Business-Practices-Neptune-New-Jersey-653260. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advanced Auto