Complaint Review: Advanta

• Submitted: Fri, May 08, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, June 22, 2009

• Reported By:San Diego California
Advanta
11850 South Election Road Draper, Utah U.S.A.

Advanta - Advanta Bank - Advanta Bank Corp "Late" Payment? Draper Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: Advanta Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed in California

I have had this card for 2 years and only used it once for a balance transfer, which I have been paying off (on time) every month since. I have AutoPay set up through my bank (because Advanta does not offer this service) to ensure that payments are made on time every month. Payments are sent from my bank account on the 14th of every month, and my credit card payment is due on or about the 20th.

Advanta is now claiming that my last payment was late, even though it cleared my checking account before the due date. The due date was not on a business day, and apparently they did not process my payment until the next business day. The funds were issued from my bank account prior to the due date, yet Advanta will not reverse the $39 late fee or reinstate the 2.99% interest they promised to honor until the balance transfer was paid off. They are currently charging me the \"default\" rate of 34.99%.

I received the statement showing the late fee on 5/1. I called on the next business day and spoke to Angel, who I could not understand, so I asked to speak with someone else. After putting me on hold for about 20 minutes, she informed me that there was no one available, but a manager would call me back \"within 24 business hours\". I confirmed that they are open 12 hours a day on weekdays, and calculated the day and time I could expect a call by. I did not get a call back until over 3 days had passed, and the only information Christina left was her name and the 800 number.

I called back that day and spoke to Brian, Moses (2 times), Angel (an additional 2 times), and finally a manager, Cheryl. Everyone I spoke to just told me the payment was received after the due date, and there was nothing they could do. None of the 4 people I spoke to was able to explain to me how the billing cycle and payment due date are determined, so that I could set up my AutoPay correctly to make sure they always receive their payment in plenty of time. All I learned was that the billing cycle is 29-32 days long, and that it does not correlate with the number of calendar days or business days into the month.

Damage Resulting
Hundreds of dollars in additional finance charges in just the first month, the $39 late fee, and a minimum payment which has nearly doubled. I will probably have to file bankruptcy over this, even though I have excellent credit with no other negative marks.

Laura
San Diego, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/08/2009 08:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advanta/Draper-Utah-84020/Advanta-Advanta-Bank-Advanta-Bank-Corp-Late-Payment-Draper-Utah-449888. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advanta

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Advanta Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed in California

AUTHOR: DEC458@MSN.COM - (U.S.A.)

Filed June 16, 2009, Case #109CV144965 in Santa Clara County Superior Court. Ron Stern and Jack Scalfani plaintiffs vs. Advanta Bank Corp., a Utah corporation, and Advanta Corp.,a Delaware corporation Defendants. Class Action Complaint for Damages, Restitution, Injunctive and Declaratory Relief, Breach of Contract and Violations of the Unfair Competition Law and the False Advertising Act. Demand for jury trial. Attorney for plaintiffs - Arthur Levy in San Francisco.