locked

• Submitted: Tue, December 20, 2005
  • Updated: Wed, December 21, 2005

• Reported By:Southfield Michigan
Advantage America
1900 Howell Branch Road Winter Park, Florida U.S.A.

Advantage America Benefits Promised $12,500 grant money deposited into my personal bank acct, Don't become a victim to fraud. Always ask for proof of legitimacy. NOTHING'S FREE if you have to pay for it. , where are the Florida authorities! Winter Park Florida *EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back into your bank account that was wrongfully taken from you!

I received a phone call on my job after working hours from a person named Harry Foster (w/an East Indian accent) with Advantage America. He proceeded to tell me that I had been chosen to receive a federal grant from our US govt for $12,500.00 because I paid my taxes and I had good credit. He said according to a federal taxation congressional law the govt has to give back to tax payers an accumulated amount of money that we've paid in taxes (ha!). When I asked him how can I validate that he was who he said he was, he gave me his name and employee id #. I wasn't satisfied. He turned me over to a verification manager (another foreign accent) who gave me the whole schpill again. Then he asked why was I hesistant to give my bank information to Harry. I told him Harry did not ask for my bank information. He seemed surprised. Then explained again that this was a bank to bank transaction. I would join a conference call that would give some confidential ID's that I had to take to my bank so the funds could be released into my account. And, oh yeah, he needed by bank account number.

I asked him if he was from the Federal Govt he should have the information available to him already since he was able to know my name, address and work phone number (I've only worked here less than a year). Finally, I was sent to talk to "the top dog", Eugene Matthews (had a more American accent). Same stuff. He told me that because he gave me his name and phone number and website that this should prove to me that he was legit. Ha! Finally, he got tired of my pressuring him for proof of this call and he said he'd send me something in the mail. Ha! Then I looked in Google to search for this company and found this site. Please beware. Read the other reports. Some have actually complied with their request and have had money WITHDRAWN from their account (processing fee - Ha!) and no deposits made.

R
Southfield, Michigan

EDitor's Suggestions on how to get your money back!

HERE IS WHAT RIP-OFF REPORT SUGGESTS YOU DO:

Go to your bank within 60 days of the charge, or as soon as you know about the charge, don't delay, and tell them that there has been fraudulent activity within your account. Explain that you wish to file a dispute, and demand that they assist you in accordance with Federal Regulation E.

According to the majority of victims interviewed by Rip-off Report, those who immediately called their banks to dispute the charges did not get very far. Many victims got the following responses from their banks: we could not do anything for you or you waited too long; it has been more than 60 days.

If the bank is says that you have waited too long, explain to them how you called their 800 number as soon as the charges were found, and were told by the bank that nothing could be done. Remind the bank that they failed to assist you properly at the 800 #, and instead, provided you with an inadequate explanation of your right to dispute. Tell the bank that it's their fault time has expired, and since they gave you the wrong info to begin with, they will just have to deal with it, take the loss and reverse the charges.

Tell them the truth; this was unauthorized and your account was NOT to be charged! Keep emphasizing how you never authorized anything! Direct them to the hundreds of victims reports that were filed on Rip-off Report.com. And if you're at the bank, walk them over to their computer and make them go to this site! If you are on the phone with them, tell them you will wait while they access this site! Either way, be persistent!

DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!

Let them know nicely, that you were advised to Report them (the Bank) and this situation to the Banking Commission in your state. Since each state has a different name for the agency/controller over banks, find that name before you call or get to the bank so you can throw it in their face. The more knowledgeable you appear to be, the further you will get.

And just continue to demand the Federal Regulation E form! The bank CAN, MUST and WILL reverse the charge! But, you must be persistent; ask to speak to the supervisor or the area manager for all the branches in the state.

Let the bank personnel know you are meeting with the media later in the day, that you would much rather they do the right thing (as most other banks have) by looking at the complaints and immediately reversing the charge(s) to your account; no matter how long ago it was. Be sure to call the Media if necessary so you are telling the truth.

If you have to, be loud (but nice) in front of other customers. If you are just calling by phone, the above tactics should still work. The bank can easily fax or mail to you the Federal Regulation E dispute form.

CHARGES TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

If the charge was to your credit card (not debit card, check card, or checking account), contact the credit card company as soon as possible to request a dispute form. Consumers usually have a little longer to dispute fraudulent credit card charges (up to 6 months), but it is better to act right away. In this type of situation, credit card disputes are usually successful since fraudulent companies often won't contest the disputed charge. In rare cases, credit card companies will review disputes, but refuse to reverse the charges. If this occurs, complain to a manager and let them know you will be filing a report here.

Remember Don't let them get away with it! Make sure they make the Rip-off Report .. The more Reports filed on a Company or individual, the more likely it is that the authorities, media and attorneys will want to take action.

And good luck Let us know how you do!

ED Magedson Founder, Rip-off Report.com & Author of www.ripoffrevenge.com
EDitor@ripoffreport.com
badbusinessbureau.com
www.ripoffreport.com

Don't let them get away with it.
Make sure they make the Rip-off Report!

We are not lawyers.
We are not a collection agency.

We are Consumer Advocates.
...the victims' advocate
WE are Civil and Human Rights Activists

We are a Worldwide Consumer Reporting News Agency
...by consumers, for consumers

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2005 04:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advantage-America/Winter-Park-Florida-32792/Advantage-America-Benefits-Promised-12500-grant-money-deposited-into-my-personal-bank-ac-168731. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advantage America