• Report: #203736

• Submitted: Mon, July 31, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, August 19, 2006

• Reported By:Seattle Washington
Advantage Rent A Car
23790 E 78th Ave Denver, Colorado U.S.A.

Advantage Rent A Car ripoff Failure To Properly Disclose Contracts Leading to Unauthorized Charges Denver Colorado

*Author of original report: Problem Solved

On 7/19/2006 I rented a vehicle from Advantage Rent-A-Car located at Denver International Airport. During the check-in process I was asked by the employee if I wanted "complete collision coverage." I responded "No," stating my regular car insurance provides coverage and that I was not interested. The employee then stated, "I suggest you purchase some sort of coverage for the vehicle," to which I again responded "No thank you, my car insurance covers it."

The employee then proceeded to print my receipt and ask me to initial the highlighted areas. I asked what the highlighted areas represented and was told they were "standard rental charges." Not anticipating the huge rip-off I was about to incur and assuming Advantage Rent-A-Car was an honest company employing equally honest staff, I initialed the receipt, signed the bottom and left.

A few hours later, as I settled in to my vacation spot, I pulled out my receipt to put it in a safe place in the vehicle and reviewed it briefly. I was shocked to realize that two of the "standard rental charges" were not only not "standard" but also were options I had declined. One being $79.96 for LDW (collision insurance) and the other being $8.00 for Highway Helper (an option that was never even mentioned to me by the employee who handled my rental).

I immediately contacted the location from which I rented the vehicle to discuss what had happened. Initially I got a customer service rep on the line and was told there was nothing he could do. I then requested to speak to the manager to whom I explained the situation stating that the employee had not only failed to ask if I had wanted one of the options, but had also charged me for an option I explicitly stated I did not want and then proceeded to lie to me when I asked what I was initialing. The manager acknowledged that this was indeed what happened and that the employee had "failed to properly disclose the contract" and then proceeded to inform me that since I had initialed the receipt and the receipt acts as a contract there was nothing she could do.

I further inquired that what she was actually telling me was that her "employee had failed to fully and accurately disclose a legally binding document and that because of this, I was now out nearly $100?" The manager simply said, "Yes."

She then suggested that the only way to remedy the situation was to return to an Advantage Rent-A-Car location and cancel the contract in person. I explained to her that this was not an option as I was now at least 3 hours away from the nearest Advantage store. She had no response, offered no further discussion and the conversation ended with Advantage Rent-A-Car pocketing nearly $100 based on a "contract" that was not disclosed accurately or legally.

I find these acts and the failure of management to respond to be deplorable and am disappointed that a company would chose to conduct itself in an unethical and illegal manner to the benefit of itself and the loss of its customers. I hope this is not how Advantage continues to conduct business, however I will not risk finding out again as I will never rent with Advantage again.

I have been unable to contact Advantage other than via the aforementioned phone calls as I have been unable to locate an e-mail for customer service on their web-site. I welcome contact from the company in an effort to resolve this situation.

Ashley
Seattle, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2006 09:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advantage-Rent-A-Car/Denver-Colorado-80249/Advantage-Rent-A-Car-ripoff-Failure-To-Properly-Disclose-Contracts-Leading-to-Unauthorized-203736. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advantage Rent A Car

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

I filed a report with the BBB regarding this issue. The management responded promptly with an apology and a refund for the amount I was incorrectly charged.

I would like to commend the management for their handling of this complaint and recant my statement that I would no longer be an Advantage Rent A Car customer. With their prompt resolution and dedication to cutomer service as demonstrated by their response to my compaint, I will certainly use their company for future rentals.

flash