Alexander

• Updated: Mon, April 04, 2011

• Reported By: Ann — Honolulu Hawaii United States of America
Advantage Rent a Car
200 North Main St, Las Vegas NV Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Advantage Rent a Car Hertz Corporation Unauthorized Plate Pass charge Las Vegas, Nevada

I rented a car at Advantage Rent a Car (a subsidiary of Hertz) in Las Vegas, NV.  All was fine until about three weeks later there was a $10.75 charge on my credit card.

I called the number supplied by my credit card service and a recording said "Plate Pass Service Center" in Arizona.  Since it was a weekend, the recording said to call Monday-Friday.

Meanwhile, I searched for "plate pass" and one of the results was an article at ripoffreport.com.  I clicked on the article and it described exactly what had happened to me.

I called the Plate Pass Service Center today (Monday) and was informed that the charge was for passing a toll in Florida.  Florida!? a place I have never been.  It should be noted that the car I rented had Florida license plates but I didn't think that was unusual since many rentals are picked up and returned to different locations.

Although this was an unpleasant occurrence, the representatives at the Plate Pass Service Center were polite and helpful.  I was informed that the charge would be reversed.

There are many reports on this site citing similar incidents and many comments were posted stating the renter should read the contract thoroughly before signing but shouldn't the rental car company's representative inform you that the vehicle is equipped with a device that will collect tolls?  And where those tolls are?  They explain all the other charges that may apply.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/04/2011 03:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Advantage-Rent-a-Car/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89101/Advantage-Rent-a-Car-Hertz-Corporation-Unauthorized-Plate-Pass-charge-Las-Vegas-Nevada-713754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Advantage Rent a Car