Complaint Review: Affordable Auto Repair

• Submitted: Fri, July 20, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, August 15, 2008

• Reported By:Gaylord Michigan
Affordable Auto Repair
936 N. Otsego Lake Dr. Gaylord, Michigan U.S.A.

Affordable Auto Repair Poor Quality of work Gaylord Michigan

*General Comment: Affordable Auto is a Good Business

*Consumer Comment: your own parts?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: INACCURATE FACT'S ON REPAIR

On or about 06-06-07, I went to Affordable Auto Repair to have the valve cover gaskets on my 1987 Chrysler 5th Ave. replaced. I had bought my own parts. They told me in the beginning that they would not be responsible for the parts as they did not come from their supplier. Two hours later I had my car back. About three weeks later about 07-03-07 starting on a trip that would be about 75 miles, I only made it five miles out of town when I noticed smoke coming inside the car. I pulled to the side of the road opened the hood and saw oil leaking from both valve covers. I let the engine cool a while and went back to Affordable Auto Repair to have them check it out. They said they wouldn't look at it and reminded me that they would not cover parts that I bought.

About a week later I went to a different shop that a friend recommended and was told the valve cover bolts were not tightened down. I have not gone back to Affordable Auto Repair I just don't want to deal with the headache I know it will be. But now because the valve covers weren't tight they are warped and need to be replaced.

Watch out for a shop that can't even remember to tighten bolts when that is the main part of the work being done.

Fred
Gaylord, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2007 12:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Affordable-Auto-Repair/Gaylord-Michigan-49735/Affordable-Auto-Repair-Poor-Quality-of-work-Gaylord-Michigan-262103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Affordable Auto Repair

#1 General Comment

Affordable Auto is a Good Business

AUTHOR: Michelle - (United States of America)

I know that this posting is a few years old, but I happened to come across it on the internet rather easily and so obviously many people will still see it, and so I wanted to respond to it.

I just wanted to say that my husband and I have had numerous repairs done at Affordable Auto in Gaylord, Pat and his crew have helped us out many times by providing the labor and help on installing parts that we have had to purchase elsewhere at a lower cost because of financial issues, and they have always done an excellent job, we have had no issues with their standard or quality of work or their professionalism.

We first went to Affordable Auto based on several referrals from coworkers who praised this repair shop as high quality workmanship at a reasonable price, and we have never regretted it.  I just wanted to put in a good word for this business, no business can please everyone, once in a while issues come up that cannot be helped, but as stated in the earlier rebuttal by Pat he very clearly tells the customer that there are no guarantees on parts that were not purchased through his shop we have never had an issue with any of the work he has provided when we left.  I just felt bad when I saw such a harsh report on a good business, honest business owners are difficult to find these days and it is sad to see a good one being called a rip off artist because of one misunderstanding with a customer, I do empathize with the customer I've been angry at businesses many times in my life and said negative things, but despite what may have happened in this situation I wanted to give a positive endorsement to Affordable Auto, they are one of the last good customer oriented businesses out there.

thanks
Michelle P.

your own parts?

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

I guess I'm amazed that someone would even have the guts to bring in their own parts and ask the mechanic to install them.

Then I'm surprised you agreed to do it for obvious reasons.

Here's why!

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

INACCURATE FACT'S ON REPAIR

AUTHOR: Pat - (U.S.A.)

WHEN THIS 87 CHRY.CAME IN THE CUSTOMER ASKED IF WE WOULD PUT VALVE COVER GASKETS ON HIS CAR BECAUSE THEY WERE LEAKING AND HE HAD THE PARTS HE WAS TOLD THAT WE WOULD, BUT WE COULD NOT WARRANTY THE JOB BECAUSE WE DID NOT PROVIDE THE PART'S HE ASKED WHY AND WAS TOLD THAT WOULD BE LIKE TAKING A STEAK TO A RESTAURANT AND HAVING THEM COOK IT AND THEN COMPLAIN THAT THE MEAT WAS BAD, MY POINT IS THAT YOU BROUGHT THE PART BUT THERE ARE NO NEW BOLT'S AND THEY SHOULD BE REPLACED WHEN DOING VALVE COVER GASKET'S ESPECIALLY WHEN A CAR IS THAT OLD HE SAID THAT IT WOULD BE OK HE DID NOT HAVE THE MONEY. SO WE PUT HIS PART'S ON HE CAME BACK ABOUT A MONTH OR SO LATER AND SAID THE VALVE COVERS WERE LEAKING I LOOKED AT THEM AND TOLD HIM THEY SHOULD HAVE NEW BOLTS PUT IN HE GAVE ME A HARD TIME SO I TOLD HIM AFTER LUNCH I WOULD HAVE A MAN RETOUQUE THE BOLT'S BUT I COULD NOT SAY THAT WOULD FIX IT HE WAS MAD AND LEFT AND NEVER CAME BACK FOR MY MAN TO TOURQUE THEN BOLT'S AND NOW I FIND THIS UNFAIR REPORT ABOUT MY SHOP WE DO GIVE A FULL WARRANTY ON OUR REPAIRS THAT WE PROVIDE THE PART'S FOR AND OUR LABOR RATE IS THE LOWEST IN TOWN . IM SORRY THIS GENTELMEN WAS NOT HAPPY AND WISH I COULD CORRECT THAT BUT I CAN'T FIX A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONES PARTS THAT I DID NOT PROVIDE

PAT.