Complaint Review: Afni, Inc

• Submitted: Tue, January 09, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, March 09, 2007

• Reported By:Clarksville Tennessee
Afni, Inc
PO Box 3427 Bloomington, Illinois U.S.A.

Afni, Fake Verizon Communications Debt! Ripoff Bloomington Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: After reading through many of these postings

*Author of original report: They sent me a generic bill!

*Author of original report: Afni, Inc Bloomington IL

I got a letter from Afni, Inc stating that we owed them over $700 for a phone bill. They were even kind enough to give us the phone number for which we owed the money!

So, having been through a somewhat similar situation (that I was saved from thanks to Rip-Off Report) while my husband was deployed to Iraq, I first checked here then called Verizon. We do indeed have an account with Verizon but it is in good standing and has been as such since we opened the account a few years ago. So surely both Verizon and I would know if we'd missed a payment!?!

Verizon was kind enough to search every which way possible and could not find any other account assigned to either my husband's or my SSN. The customer service rep even went so far as to talk to their own collections department to make sure there wasn't a closed account. Then attempted to call Afni, Inc at the number provided in the letter to which there was no response after several attempts.

So - having been assured by Verizon that we did not, in fact, owe this amount on our account or on this alleged account, I am drafting a rather interesting letter CC to my lawyers.

Seems every time my husband deploys we get these letters. According to these companies - we have owed almost $20,000 in the last year!! Break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Wish me luck! I hope nobody else goes through this with these people - or if they do - that they win!

G
Clarksville, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2007 03:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Afni-Inc/Bloomington-Illinois-61702/Afni-Fake-Verizon-Communications-Debt-Ripoff-Bloomington-Illinois-229572. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Afni, Inc

#1 Consumer Suggestion

After reading through many of these postings

AUTHOR: P - (U.S.A.)

I am starting to come to the conclusion that Verizon has simply sold personal information on anyone that they had to make a buck. Verizon is not innocent in this.

They sent me a generic bill!

AUTHOR: G - (U.S.A.)

How nice! I received in the mail today - a generic bill with no letterhead, no account details - just how much I owed and that was that. Supposedly itemised from the company the debt was incurred with (GTE/Verizon Communications)

Afni state that I "have" to pay the bill even though they have no proof I authorised the account. - oh not to mention the account is 10 years old!

Afni, Inc Bloomington IL

AUTHOR: G - (U.S.A.)

Contact with Afni - they allude that the account is from 1996 (can anyone say "Statute of Limitations?") and also claim that there is no such thing as a statute of limitations, nor any requirement for proof of the account being raised. Nice work fellas!

I wrote a lovely letter to my lawyer and a further cease and desist letter to Afni and if they keep it up I'll sue them for undue worry and stress.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC