Complaint Review: AirBNB

• Reported By: Janet — Denver Colorado United States of America
AirBNB
Chicago, Illinois United States of America

AirBNB Buyer Beware --- AIRBNB Chicago, Illinois

I am writing in this forum as a last resort.  I recently utilized a site, AirBNB, to book a rental home on a recent trip to Chicago.   I should have known that this was going to be sketchy when the cab driver told me and a fellow coworker, "don't walk around this neighborhood"

Because I was in Chicago to work, not sightsee, I figured I could live with the neighborhood for a few days.  When we got to the home, our host Jonese, was waiting.  The odor of incense was overpowering --  again, we could open windows and air the place out -- I figured I'd deal -- it was only going to be a few days.

Because going out in the neighborhood was not an option -- my coworker and I decided to eat in.  The first four plates we took out of the cupboard were dirty -- we decided to skip cooking anything.

We decided we would just take baths and get some sleep -- we had a long day of meetings ahead. [continued below]....
.....  Although the overall condition of the home wasn't "clean" -- we were completely disgusted by the bathrooms -- Used bandaid left on the tub -- pubic hair and grime coated the tub and counters -- completely filthy --

At this point, we had no other option than to book alternative acomodations.

We immediately notified AirBNB and Jonese the homes owner -- We also documented our experience with photos as well.

I am only citing the most agregious of issues in this forum, however
between the unswept/mopped floors, the gross smell, needles on the
counters -- this rental was certainly not ready to be rented!

In light of these circumstances, we requested a refund of the $700+ we had paid.  I was nothing less than astonished when AirBNB told me they would refund half of my money -- as the "host" did not have an opportunity to "fix" the problem.

Because the "problem" is a host that keeps a disgusting rental --- and did nothing prior to our arrival to insure that we wouldn't be bathing in her family's filth -- I have disputed the charge with my credit card company.

Additionally, this owner should warn everyone that this property is in a very DANGEROUS neighborhood

I would have posted on the AIRBNB site, however, for some reason I can't post a comment -- So I thought i would post it here -- I wish I could post the photos as well -- they speak volumes!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2013 08:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AirBNB/Chicago-Illinois-60603/AirBNB-Buyer-Beware-AIRBNB-Chicago-Illinois-1009054. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AirBNB