Complaint Review: Alamo Rent a Car

• Updated: Tue, July 23, 2013

• Reported By: MikJet — Fort Lauderdale Florida
Alamo Rent a Car
Denver Intl Airport Denver, Colorado USA

Alamo Rent a Car Alamo/National "Damage to car" due to Hail - damage only they can see it seems Denver Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Share Your Story-Provoke Change

*UPDATE Employee: Hail = renter's resposibility

*UPDATE Employee: AlamoCares

*Consumer Comment: This brings up a question

I rented a car in Denver July 09th to the 12th on assignment for work.   Stayed outside of Denver for most of the time.   I showed up to return the car Friday morning before 8am.  I was one of maybe 12-15 cars that pulled in around the same time forming 2 lines and cars one behind the other.   A yound female rep shows up and walks around the car and while we're standing at the back she suddently points to something in the middle of the trunk door.   Amazed, I look at her and asked "I'm sorry, what are you pointing at?"   another guy rushes in and from 10 feet away points to the roof, not even the same point she was pointing at.   Again, I ask, what are you guys looking at?  There is nothing there.    She checks me out nontheless and I am on my way, but deep inside had the feeling this is far from over.

Sure enough, not a week later I get a claims letter, no name of anyone, no description of the damage (of course not, there is none), nothing, just a page with give us credit card and/or insurance info and we'll take of this for you.

Today, Harrison, a manager at Denver's Alamo/National left a voicemail - he is pretty sure Hail was in the area July 10th and that I am still liable for the damage.   This of course raises questions left and right but I will let our legal team handle this one.    I already filed a dispute with them and await a call back from Harrison.   Will update as things develop.

Alamo is already losing big - our company is a global player in the aviation industry and rent cars all over the world thru a business program at AMEX.   AMEX has now dropped Alamo from our car rental list and we will not be renting any cars from them anymore.   Personally, I don't see myself renting a car from Alamo in the foreseable future and the amount of business they are about to lose is so stagering, it's not even funny.

Thing is this, and it's important I make this very clear - if I had truly been involved in an incident resulting in damage to the car, I would have assumed responsibility and took care of this myself, no questions asked.

But this one looks and smells so bad, it borderline rediculous and appaling at the same time and sounds like many similar stories I have come across the past several days, all sounding pretty much the same.

So question, Alamo, was it worth it in the end?    Even if you do get a couple hunderds of dollars for nothing, you just lost tens of thousands of dollars in rentals all over the world.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/23/2013 02:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alamo-Rent-a-Car/Denver-Colorado/Alamo-Rent-a-Car-AlamoNational-Damage-to-car-due-to-Hail-damage-only-they-can-see-it-1069462. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alamo Rent a Car

Share Your Story-Provoke Change

AUTHOR: Benu - ()

Hello :)

I am gathering similar stories like mine. My Ripoff Report is #1169475. Would you be willing to provide your evidence for your story? The more stories I have, the better the expose. Please reply in a rebuttal and I will send more info. I have also posted a Craigslist post for anyone who has experienced the same thing from this national company. Thank you. denver.craigslist.org/vnn/4622804241.html

Hail = renter's resposibility

AUTHOR: BOOGIESDADDY - ()

If it is an "act of God", you are still responsible for the rental car. It is in the rental jacket that they give to you. If not, anyone with a damage can claim that it was an act of God and get away with a damaged car. This is why it is risky to rent without insurance. Alot of people will find out the hard way. The good news is that if you complain on websites like this and say bad things about the company, they are DESPARATE for your approval and will look into the matter, if not let it go away. And by the way AMEX does not seek to cover the insurance. AMEX is a secondary insurance and will attemt to get out of paying for damaged car... Read their contract carefully if you believe that you are covered.

AlamoCares

AUTHOR: Alamo Rent A Car - ()

MikJet

We’ve taken note of your concern and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to care@alamo.com including the exact rental location, your contact information, your rental agreement or reservation number and any further information regarding your experience with us.

When emailing, please list Reference Number 130724-001852 in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,

Carol H.

Social Media

Alamo Rent-A-Car

This brings up a question

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

Let's say that there really was serious hail damage to the car.  Are we as renters responsible for that?  Don't the rental companies have insurance against natural damage causes like that?

I don't know.