Complaint Review: Alaska Airlines

• Submitted: Wed, July 14, 2004
  • Updated: Mon, November 29, 2004

• Reported By:Langley British Columbia
Alaska Airlines
P.O. Box 68900,Seattle,Washington 98168-0900 Seattle, Washington U.S.A.

Alaska Airlines rip-off! Seattle Washington

*Consumer Suggestion: Another case of a passenger trying to be their own travel agent

On a recent trip, June 9th to June 16th, from Vancouver, BC to La Paz,Mexico, I needed to report missing luggage in LAX. Alaska had missplaced my luggage from YVR to LAX. I filed a report in LAX and I have a file locator # which is SPJVFZ, filed on June 9th, 2004.

We never saw our luggage again until we checked into La Paz airport to come back home.I was very happy to see it,but it did me no good while I was suffering in 115*F temperatures with my jeans on & no flip flops for my feet,plus all the other necessary thngs that one needs for a vacation like this. We went to the airport in La Paz & checked to see if it ever came in except the night before we left, I gather. That's when it must have showed up.

Happy to have our luggage back but still figuring we were owed compensation for delayed baggage and it ruining our holiday,I reported it to the Rep at YVR,when we returned home.The rep now gives me the brochure with "Baggage Service Information" on it, after I tell him my story & he tells me, "Where's our informaion for you BUT I doubt we will do anything for you".

I was very upset by his statement and started working on this claim immediately when I got home.I called the phone number on the brochure & emailed them too.They apologized for any inconvenience to us and figured they would compensate us with something. The last email I got from them was dated June 23, 04 & when I write them to ask them how my claim is going, no one responds at all. I figure they are avoiding me. This is no way for Alaska Airlines to operate and to us its very poor customer relations.

We hope we never have to fly with them ever again and if we do, it's only carryon for sure. We are older folks, husband is a senior and we fly 8-10 trips a year but usually fly with Canadian charters. We have never had this problem before & we do expect more from this airline.
I will not stop until they do something to rectify this.

Dianne
Langley, British Columbia
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2004 10:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alaska-Airlines/Seattle-Washington-98168-0900/Alaska-Airlines-rip-off-Seattle-Washington-98882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alaska Airlines

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Charlie - (U.S.A.)

From what I can assertain from your story, you travelled from Vancouver, BC, via LAX, to LaPaz, MX on two different airlines, the first being Alaska Airlines. As a former employee of Alaska I also know that they discontinued service to LaPaz three years ago so you had to be on a different airline from LAX to LAP. Since you filed your lost baggage claim in LAX on your outbound date of travel I can assume that you bought 2 separate tickets, one from Alaska and the other from the airline that carried you to LaPaz, which made it necessary for you to claim your bag from Alaska in LAX and re-check it with the other carrier. This whole situation could have been avoided if you had spent a few extra dollars and used a travel agent who would have issued you a conjunctive ticket which would have allowed Alaska to check your bag from Vancouver all the way to LaPaz, assuming Alaska has an agreement with the other airline to transfer your bag. By being your own travel agent in this case you complicated matters for yourself. Alaska has no responsibility to reimburse you whatsoever. You purchased a ticket from them to go from YVR to LAX. As far as Alaska is concerned, their responsibility ends there. If your destination had been in the greater L.A. area and your bags were delayed, they would have been delivered to you by a courier service at your destination. No airline is obligated to to check your bags through to a destination other than what you are ticketed for unless you are holding a single ticket issued for your entire itinerary.

#2 Consumer Suggestion