Complaint Review: All Coast Transporters

• Updated: Fri, September 21, 2012

• Reported By: MelB — Oklahoma City Oklahoma United States of America
All Coast Transporters
6245 Powerline Rd Suite 107 FT Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

All Coast Transporters Continental Van Lines Rick Perez from All Coast Transporters did absolutely nothing to help my MIL when drivers he hired stole her belongings. FT Lauderdale, Florida

Shady Moving Companies
September 13th, 2012

I am writing this letter to update those who may have heard about the woman from Coral Springs whose belongings were stolen from a moving companys truck.  I am her daughter-in-law and I want the residents of Broward County to know what type of company theyre dealing with if they decide to use Continental Van Lines or All Coast Transporters to transport their belongings.  This story originally aired on August 22nd and was aired over several news stations including ones in Oklahoma City.

My mother-in-law has stage-4 breast cancer and she was having her belongings moved to Oklahoma City, in hopes that she would be able to move back home to be closer to her children and grandchildren.  She was one step closer to achieving this goal when the drivers from All Coast Transporters decided to dump the moving truck and sell her belongings, in West Palm Beach.
My mother-in-law signed a contract with Continental Van Lines, out of Pompano Beach, to move her belongings from Coral Springs to Oklahoma City.  Continental Van Lines used All Coast Transporters as their agent.  It was the drivers from All Coast Transporters, Ulysses Holmes and his cousin that came to her house, packed up her stuff, and then tried to sell it to some people in an apartment complex in West Palm Beach.  They were successful in selling all of her belongings for $100, but fortunately a neighbor alerted the police to the suspicious activity.  The police were able to recover most of her belongings, but a lot of her things were damaged.  Ulysses Holmes was questioned and claimed he was beaten and robbed at gunpoint.  I have yet to hear anything else about what has happened to him.

Rick Perez, from All Coast Transporters, who hired these criminals, has agreed to help my mother-in-law only with regard to her insurance claim on the items that were damaged.  He has not agreed to compensate her for any time that she had to take off to deal with this, stress, or even pitch in and pay for the move itself.   The General Manager from Continental Van Lines agreed to take back possession of my mother-in-laws belongings and assured us that they would arrive in Oklahoma City safely.

I spoke with the General Manager from Continental several times and he told me that he would try and compensate my mother-in-law somehow.  He said that he would try and do the move at their cost, but that they could not take a loss.  My family felt this was fair.  However, that was 3 weeks ago and I have tried to call the General Manager several times to discuss the final cost of this move and I cannot get a hold of him.  I did finally get a hold of a dispatcher named Ron and he did let me know that my mother-in-laws belongings would arrive here in Oklahoma City this Saturday, September 15th.  This is more than 3 weeks after her belongings were stolen, then returned to the Continental Van Lines warehouse, where they have been sitting.

Currently, I am still waiting to hear back from Continental Van Lines to get a final cost for this move.  It has been an exercise in frustration, trying to obtain this information.  The General Manager was very upfront with us in the beginning, when all of this first happened, but now he is not returning my phone calls or text messages or my mother-in-laws.  I was told that I would hear something today.  We shall see.

I just want my mother-in-laws belongings delivered to Oklahoma City.  I want her to be compensated somehow for her time off dealing with this debacle, stress, and the fact that her stuff was supposed to be delivered almost a month ago.  We also want to make sure that she is compensated 100% for the damages done to her belongings.  I want the criminals that did this prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  If I were the owner of All Coast Transporters, I would be going out of my way to make sure restitution was made and would be willing to take a loss on this particular job, given the circumstances, in the interest of rectifying what has been a horrible experience for the customer.  I believe that Rick Perez, from All Coast Transporters, should step up and do whats right.  Most importantly, I want my mother-in-law to return to Oklahoma City where she will be surrounded by her children and grandchildren.

September 14th at 10:20 a.m.

I still have not heard anything from either Continental Van Lines or All Coast Transporters.  I called Sindy at All Coast Transporters and asked for Rick.  Rick was not available so I decided it was time to contact WPBF news.  I sent the above detail in a letter to Rick and Sindy at All Coast Transporters and told them that I would be contacting the media.
September 14th at 12:10 p.m.

Ron from Continental Van Lines called me and informed that he did have a final cost for the move.  The balance remaining is $2890.04.  I couldnt believe my ears.  That makes her total cost of this move = $4090.04 as she had already paid them $1200 deposit almost a month ago.  I told Ron that this figure was not acceptable and that is was pretty much the original estimated cost.  The original estimate was $4,193.72 making a total savings for the move $103.68.  I advised Ron that I wanted to speak with the General Manager as the General Manager had promised me that he would try and work out some sort of compensation for my mother-in-law and only charge her his cost if he could.

September 14th at 1:00 p.m.

The General Manager did call me and explained to me why the charge was still $2890.04.  He said that this was his cost and that he was not making any money off of this move.  He explained that he had to do a lot of work to get a truck here as soon as possible and had made it a Saturday delivery for us.  I asked him why he has not returned our phone calls and he mentioned that he is very busy and that we were updated as soon as possible.  He also explained to me that legally he did not have to do anything and that their company did everything they could to help my mother-in-law get her belongings here as soon as possible for as little cost as possible.  I advised him that his $103.68 savings was not acceptable.  Some of my mother-in-laws belongings were damaged and stolen so she wanted those items off of the truck.  In my opinion, they are actually charging her more than the estimated cost.  To be perfectly honest, I yelled at him, I cussed at him, I cried, I pleaded and all of this went on deaf ears.  I have no doubt that the General Managers hands are tied and he cannot compensate her for something that his company, Continental Van Lines, feels is not their fault.  Since I am not a professional mover and/or professional liar, I cannot say what they are legally responsible for.  Since my mother-in-law did sign her contract with Continental Van Lines, I feel that should have felt more responsible for hiring an agent, All Coast Transporters, who in turn did nothing to help this situation.  I have tried contacting Rick Perez from All Coast Transporters several times and I can only assume that he was advised his lawyers not to talk with anyone.  I am disgusted with this whole situation.  There is not one person in this whole debacle that has stepped up and taken responsibility for anything.  All I hear is that we are not legally responsible.  I explained to the General Manager and tried to explain to Rick Perez that I didnt want their companies to do just the legal things, I wanted them to do the ethically and morally right things.  I guess that is too much to ask in this line of business.  I asked the General Manager if I could get an estimated time of delivery for his Saturday delivery and he said that he would get back to us once he contacted the driver.  I also advised him that I had already emailed Ted White from WBPF news and posted an updated story on WBPF Facebook page.  I advised him that I would remove the story from Facebook, but I couldnt do anything about the email that had been sent already.  The General Manager had mentioned to me several times that he does not want Continental Van Lines involved with this because it was legal for his company to hire All Coast Transporters as an agent and again that his company was not legally responsible to do anything.

September 15 at 8:35 a.m.

Talked with my mother-in-law and she said that she did talk with the General Manager last night.  He explained the final cost to her and gave her options on how to get this paid today so that when the driver gets here in Oklahoma City that they can unload her stuff.  She is asking for a detailed receipt on these charges.  She did mention to me that part of this is storage fees for her belongings that sat at Continental Van Lines warehouse for 3 weeks while they did everything they could to help us.  I dont believe that my mother-in-law should have to pay for her items to be stored when they should have been delivered to Oklahoma City over three weeks ago.
Why isnt Rick Perez from All Coast Transporters compensating by mother-in-law for her time off work, her stress, her numerous hours on the phone, and her worry?  In my opinion, he doesnt do any of this because he doesnt legally have to and he cares more about himself than his customers.
September 15th at 11:35 a.m.

Called Ron, the dispatcher, from Continental Van Lines to get an update on when the truck is going to be here.  Ron said that he would call me back.

September 15th at 11:45 a.m.

Ron from Continental called me back to tell me that the truck has broken down and it is at a Freightliner shop being worked on.  I asked him to call my mother-in-law to give her this update and he said he would.  He said that he would call me later with an update on the time that the truck would be here.

September 15th at 3:30 p.m.

My mother-in-law texted and let me know that she went down to the Continental Van Lines office to pay them their money so that she would not be holding up the delivery of her belongings.  She said that they told her that the moving truck should arrive in Oklahoma City in about 3 hours putting it here at 6:30 p.m. CST.

September 15th at 6:40 p.m.

No moving truck yet.

September 15th at 7:51 p.m.

The offices at Continental Van Lines were closed and no one ever gave us the name or phone number of the driver so I texted the General Manager of Continental Van Lines to see if he could update my mother-in-law on when the truck was coming.  The General Manager had let me know earlier that he was only going to be speaking with my mother-in-law since the contract was with her.

September 15th at 9:06 p.m.

My mother-in-law texted me and said that the General Manager from Continental Van Lines had text her to let her know that the driver would be calling me to make arrangements for delivery tomorrow.

The driver did call me and he had let me know they did have some setbacks and were broken down earlier and had the paper work to prove it.  He told me that his GPS was putting him into Oklahoma City around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday.  I told him that was really odd since my mother-in-law was told that they were 3 hours away from Oklahoma City on Saturday at 3:30 CST.  He said that he didnt know anything about that and he let me know that he would call me in the morning.

September 16th at 9: 13 a.m.

Driver called to tell me that the GPS said that he would be in Oklahoma City between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. and that he would keep me updated if anything happened.

September 16th at 12:52 p.m.

Driver texted me and said that they were on I-40 in Mississippi at a dead stop due to freeway closure because of an accident.  I asked him what our options were and he said that if they couldnt deliver tonight that they would deliver tomorrow morning.  I told him that was not easy for us to call in to our jobs at the last minute.  I told him that I knew I couldnt be there because I teach a class on Monday and that my husband could not take off, but we would see if my sister-in-law could take off.  I asked him to have someone from Continental call me and he said their offices
were closed.

September 16th at 1:48 p.m.

I texted the General Manager from Continental Van Lines and told him that the driver had told me that they were stuck in Mississippi and that when he or someone at his office told my mother-in-law on Saturday that the truck was 3 hours from Oklahoma City that he must have known that was not the truth.  I told him that I expected some sort of compensation for my sister-in-law because she had to take off work due to their negligence.

September 17th at 7:30 a.m.

The drivers did as promised and arrived at my mother-in-laws house in Oklahoma City to deliver her belongings.  I had my sister-in-law ask them exactly where they were at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday when Continental Van Lines had told my mother-in-law that they were only 3 hours away from Oklahoma City.  I was not surprised to hear that they said that they were in Jacksonville, FL because this load was not on their route.  They finished delivering her belongings at 10:30 a.m. this morning and my sister-in-law took pictures of their receipts where they had broken down. We still want a detailed receipt from Continental Van Lines detailing exactly what she was charged for.

Do I just let all of this go now since my mother-in-laws belongings are in Oklahoma City?  Do I just let these people off the hook after they lied to my mother-in-law about when her belongings would be here?  They got their $4090.04 so I am sure that they are happy with the outcome on their end.

One thing is for certain, I adore my mother-in-law and I am not letting anyone take advantage of her without a fight.  I may not fight them in court, but the court of public opinion does matter.  So for those of you looking for a moving company, I would certainly not use Continental Van Lines out of Pompano Beach or All Coast Transporters unless you want to be lied to.
We are still in the process of getting the information together for the insurance company to compensate my mother-in-law for her damaged belongings.  I do hope that this part of this whole debacle will go much smoother.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2012 07:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/All-Coast-Transporters/FT-Lauderdale-Florida-33309/All-Coast-Transporters-Continental-Van-Lines-Rick-Perez-from-All-Coast-Transporters-did-a-944531. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on All Coast Transporters