Complaint Review: All Star Driving School

• Submitted: Mon, February 25, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, August 05, 2009

• Reported By:La Verne California
All Star Driving School
8409 Haven Ave Rancho Cucamonga, California U.S.A.

All Star Driving School One of the All Star "behind-the-wheel" teachers treated my daughter in an abusive way Rancho Cucamonga California

*Consumer Comment: This Is Not A Rip Off

*Consumer Comment: Ya gotta hate it when.........

*UPDATE Employee: If you need to vent or complain, okay, you have the right...just keep it honest.

I am the mother of a student with this driving school. I feel frustrated about the service provided by one of your "behind-the-wheel" teachers, who was supposed to give my daughter's driving class. After the driving class, when I picked up my daughter at your school, I found her crying, saying that the teacher had treated her in a very impolite, unkind, mean, and racist way!!!. After listening to my daughter I called to your office and there was nobody at that time to help me, so I left messages in your voicemail and waited until Monday, when one of your assistants called me. And I explained her all what my daughter had told me, and the way she felt during the two hours spent with your trainer during her driving class.

The Manager never returned my calls. Here are the facts:
From the beginning of the class, this teacher put so much pressure on my daughter, blaming her for not taking the second class earlier, which is not my daughter's fault, since you they did't have room earlier to take the class. Since my daughter barely could hear the trainer instructions, because she talked very low and with an accent, the trainer asked my daughter many questions like how much she had got in her English class (which definitely is not her business), but still my daughter had to tell her school grades on English, but the trainer continued blaming her, telling her that she had to speak English to take the driving test, but in a very impolite manner. Which was cruel, and here I doubt about the capabilities of this woman to train, why the trainer doesn't know that the DMV applies the behind-the-wheel test in many different languages, including Chinese and Spanish???.

She asked my daughter about how much time she had spent driving, which my daughter answered more than 50 hours (I have been driving with my daughter, supervising, and recording her driving hours, and she has made more than 70 hours of practice). But every time that my daughter made a mistake (due to the same pressure, anxiety and stress that this teacher put on her), the teacher made fun of her saying 50 hours ha!, which can't be accepted from a teacher who is there to train, teach, and help, not to make fun of her student.

This trainer asked my daughter for how long she has been living in this country, which again, is not her business, and it is not part of the driving class, but my daughter answered 2 years, then she was sarcastic and said: ahhh, 2 years.

In summary, I am afraid that this woman committed a kind of abuse to my daughter, when she conducted an interrogatory and blamed my daughter, who is only a teenager, adding that she showed a racist attitude toward her, making fun of her, and blaming her everytime she made a mistake, resulting from her nervousness and anxiety by being aside that woman. The teacher shouldn't have to ask my daughter about her grades, about her Nationality, about the time she has been living in this country, or anything like that. The teacher should be there only to HELP, PROVIDE SUPPORT, AND ASSIST HER IN HER DRIVING CLASS, but not for putting pressure on my daughter making her feeling embarrassed, and making fun of her.-

The teacher's attitude towards my daughter during her second driving class, provoked that my daughter felt so nervous, anxious, stressed and embarrassed to a point that her mind was mixed and she could not concentrate on the trainer's instructions, and as reported by my daughter, she only wanted to get out of the car and run away from that woman. And she stayed up until midnight crying and feeling so bad about this miserable treatment. I definitely didn't pay in advance for a class where the teacher has been abusive and overbearing.

As a DMV approved driving school, All Star should be attached to what it claims in its marketing slogan All Star strives to maintain a high level of satisfaction in the professional services provided to its students, We strive to make available to every student an atmosphere that is pleasant and safe to learn in, and it should look for the client's full satisfaction, as every service provider does.

I feel frustrated about this situation, and I am still waiting to receive an answer from the Manager, with regards to this abuse suffered by my daughter. By the way, when my daughter took her driving test, she passed it at the first time, with only 3 mistakes, and I have evidence of that. In addition, when I told one of the ALL STAR assistants that I was going to file a report on them, she only said that I am wellcomed to do that.

A worried mother
La Verne, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2008 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/All-Star-Driving-School/Rancho-Cucamonga-California-91730/All-Star-Driving-School-One-of-the-All-Star-behind-the-wheel-teachers-treated-my-daughte-311801. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on All Star Driving School

This Is Not A Rip Off

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I agree with the driving school on this one. Someone should call the Wahbanlance for this "worried mother." Wah...wha...ha ha. First of the I know for a fact that the DMV does not give the drive test in spanish ect. They give the written test in other lang. but the drive test is in English. This mother is just over protective and over sensative and should have been happy this company gave her a free lesson when they should not have had to. Here is an idea "worried mom": Send your kid to a spanish driving school! I feel sorry for the instructor really. It must have been nerve racking having someone who did not understand things like "stop"...ha....ha

Well I feel sorry that this driving school had to have this lady do hit and run statements on in this forum because the reality is that this is not a "rip off". Maybe if she understood English she would know the difference.

Ya gotta hate it when.........

AUTHOR: Resty - (U.S.A.)

........people jump to using the race card for whatever reason. "Worried mom" seems to think screaming racial issues is gonna net her "something".....perhaps a refund?? If the daughter was so sure and confident after 50 hours of driving....I find it difficult to believe she was so upset and intimidated by the instructors idle chat..which appears to be all it was. The daughter is gonna have a whole helluva lot more to deal with in this life than a few basic questions during/for idle chat.

Worried Mom and daughter need to buck up and stop using the race card like this.

AUTHOR: Lynn C. - (U.S.A.)

As a staff member of All Star Driving School I am aware of the story behind this complaint. Only recently have we been made aware of its existence on RipOff Report. It isn't common we get complaints such as this, so it was a memorable situation and undeniably a case where the customer wasn't going to be satisfied no matter how hard we tried.

What worried mother' omitted from her complaint were these facts:
'Worried mother' and her daughter are both predominantly Spanish speaking clients of ours. Because there was a language barrier between the student and instructor it was obvious that the lesson was frustrating for both individuals. However, no instructors made RACIST remarks to worried mother's' daughter. Once the situation became clear that a Spanish speaking instructor was needed, concerned mother' and her daughter were compensated and received a FREE lesson with a new Spanish speaking instructor to make up for the previous problematic lessons. Afterword she was sent a letter of apology and acknowledgment from the owner as well. More interestingly, is the fact that when worried mother's' daughter was ready to go for her behind the wheel test at the DMV, worried mother' called All Star Driving School to ask that an instructor take her daughter for the test. Her complaint had already been filed with the DMV, so we felt it in our best interest not to take her daughter.

Let me make a correction to 'worried mother's' complaint..."but still my daughter had to tell her school grades on English, but the trainer continued blaming her, telling her that she had to speak English to take the driving test, but in a very impolite manner. Which was cruel, and here I doubt about the capabilities of this woman to train, why the trainer doesn't know that the DMV applies the behind-the-wheel test in many different languages, including Chinese and Spanish???."
1) It was the Spanish instructor provided for this student who advised her that she would be given the test in English. 2) The DMV only gives the behind the wheel test in ENGLISH. It is the written test that is given in several languages.
This is by no means a racist remark to tell anyone. It is for anyone's benefit who speaks English as a second language and our job as teachers is to instruct every student of that fact. This is something all students learn in Driver's Ed class.

I would hope that any parent who is concerned with their child and instructor relationship would call a.s.a.p., and we would advise you do so. Had she called, we would absolutely have given her another instructor, in her case a Spanish speaking instructor. This part of our service is available to any student and has worked in the past not just with a language barrier but when the chemistry wasn't working for either the student or the instructor. We truly want the student to be comfortable and at ease during their lessons.

Furthermore, each behind the wheel lesson is 2 hours. If the student is as proficient a driver as worried mother's' is, (70 hours is very good) then talking about driving for 2 hours gets a little monotonous for both the student and instructor. Therefore, it is not uncommon for an instructor to ask about school, sports, hobbies, and yes, even grades. Our instructors have strict guidelines as to what is considered appropriate conversation and I would assume most wouldn't consider grades a 'hot topic' of debate. It is a basic question to ask a teenager.

Finally, what do you say to someone who threatens to complain? We welcome constructive criticism in our business. In part, it is what keeps us growing and working to build the business into what it is and that is the best driving school in the Inland Empire. Bar none. We work exceptionally hard to maintain good standing with our customers so, if you need to vent or complain, okay, you have the right...just keep it honest.