Complaint Review: Allen Design Associates

• Submitted: Wed, November 07, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, November 07, 2012

• Reported By: Michael — Charlotte North Carolina United States of America
Allen Design Associates
110 South Mint Street, Suite 206 Charlotte, North Carolina United States of America

Allen Design Associates Robert Allen Did not pay his subcontractors after we paid in full Charlotte, North Carolina

Do not trust this guy!  Read the entire complaint.  It was only after he burned us that I found out he has been doing this to others.  We paid him in full, but he did not pay some of his subcontractors.  Two of those subcontractors then had to file mechanic's liens against our property for about $5,000 that he owed them (that's how it works).  I have receipts and recorded phone conversations with him to prove it our payments.   All-in-all five subcontractors were burnt.  Some names who gave me permission to share are Bill Hefner of Bill Hefner Plumbing (awesome work by the way), Shawn Meer or Meer Comfort (also did a good job), and James at KC Tile in NC (He did our glass tile around the sinks in the bathroom and it's stellar!).

Four additional things to note and heed the first one if nothing else:

1) He seems like a nice guy, and I think he is well intentions, but he's so disorganized and emotional that it's extremely difficult to do business with him and get proper due dates, costs, and answers.  Unfortunately we found that out too late.  Don't make the mistake we did.  Although if you do, you might be paying off our $5,000 in liens only to have the same thing happen to you, haha (had to find some humor in this).

2) He was always delayed on our job and could never meet a deadline.  It wasn't until I started investigating that I found out it he owes a lot of companies money.  He was using the funds from our job to help pay for debts on previous jobs.  Basically running this like a ponzi scheme.  I don't think he thinks I would step-up and file online so that's my assumption as to why he hasn't paid the $5,000 owed on our jobs from one of his other jobs.

3) The floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom never had matting placed under them.  They are more prone to cracking, or as another tile guy said to me, "Just call me in six months when they start cracking."

4) He never finished installing a counter-top grill.  They also damaged it and it wouldn't work.  I had to plead with the manufacturer to get a new one.  I called a granite installation company to install it and when they came out they raised concerns about the install of the granite he did.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this new issue, but I'm sure it will not be cheap.

Stay away from Rob Allen!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/07/2012 07:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allen-Design-Associates/Charlotte-North-Carolina-28203/Allen-Design-Associates-Robert-Allen-Did-not-pay-his-subcontractors-after-we-paid-in-full-966176. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allen Design Associates