Complaint Review: Alliance One Account Receivables

• Submitted: Thu, September 27, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, April 10, 2009

• Reported By:Seattle Washington
Alliance One Account Receivables
Po BOX 2449 Gig Harbor, Washington U.S.A.

Alliance One Account Receivables Alliance One corrupt illegal collection fees multiple FDCPA violations! Report them to the AG! Gig Harbor Washington

*Consumer Comment: I fully agree sir!!!!!!!

*Consumer Comment: Joe Citizen

*Consumer Comment: Its obvious

I believe that Alliance One Receivables has violated the federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act in regards to consumer rights. It is my understanding that collection fees beyond a reasonable amount of interest are illegal. I am aware that the municipal parking enforcement division can escalate the amount of the unpaid fine, which has been imposed on all of my accounts, yet for the agency to escalate alleged collection fees on top of the interest and additional fines is a clear violation.

808. Unfair practices [15 USC 1692f]
A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section: (1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.

What this says is that no other charges may be applied unless a contract says it may and I can assure you that is not the case with a processing/collection fee. In my opinion, the agency is padding the charges.

I have been dealing with the deceptive collection practices of Alliance One Receivables since 2005, they have violated my rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act in regards to reporting the debt to the major credit reporting agencies while the debt is in dispute. Alliance One has contacted me via mail and phone after I requested them to cease all communication as I attempted to resolve the debt with the original creditor, Seattle Municipal, who has refused to allow me to settle the debt accordingly with them.

Furthermore; although the company has included the required notice of consumers' right to dispute the validity of the debt under collection, they have failed to include relevant information regarding consumers' rights. (see enclosure) In particular, the notice attached to Alliance One letters fails to notify the consumer of their right to dispute a portion of the alleged debt. This overshadows the required notice and has a misleading, unfair and coercive effect. Under the act, any such language that overshadows the validity notice, or that has an unfair, misleading or coercive effect is strictly forbidden. Since this verbiage was not included in the collection notices, I naively attempted to settle the debt, set up payment plans, all of which were denied.

There are multiple complaints on consumer advocate sites such as www.ripoffreport.com, and the BBB. I feel that since Alliance One is collecting for the municipal parking enforcement that they believe that they are above the law in regards to consumer rights. If you are in the same situation with this corrupt agency, file a complaint with the attorney general!

Seattle, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/27/2007 02:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alliance-One-Account-Receivables/Gig-Harbor-Washington-98335/Alliance-One-Account-Receivables-Alliance-One-corrupt-illegal-collection-fees-multiple-FDC-276256. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alliance One Account Receivables

I fully agree sir!!!!!!!

AUTHOR: Unsilentmajority - (U.S.A.)

I was told my debt was ASSUMED to be valid since I was two days late in responding to the letter that was sent to me. The funny thing was it was the first I was hearing about the whole incident since someone had stolen my wallet and ended up registering a car in my name and proceeded to get a parking ticket in Seattle when I live in Vancouver. Furthermore I was in Salem Oregon on the day I supposedly got this ticket at work for my company. Now I have to fight all of this but Seattle Municiple court doesnt care anymore since it has been turned over to Alliance one. I'm in kinda the same boat but I agree 12%?! I DIDNT BUY A CAR FROM THEM OR ANYTHING. Also what do you think about corrections at the county court house being able to charge intrest now? Is that fair or legal?

Joe Citizen

AUTHOR: Joe Citizen - (U.S.A.)

You get tickets, you do not pay tickets and then you complain that there are fee's.........your research you did was good but very flawed because you did not search deep enough. Check out RCW 3.02.045.........now that you have the statute that specifically allows the fees why don't you pay off your bill and become a responsible member of society. Also the FDCPA does not apply because tickets are not consumer debts!

Its obvious

AUTHOR: Kae - (U.S.A.)

Its obvious that the contract or agreement is in fact allowing these charges.

Im sure the government agency you owe the debt to made sure to look that over.LOL
They HAVE TO report the debt on the credit bureaus. It would nice to have a statement on there saying "under dispute by consumer"
What are you disputing? Im thinking the contract or agreement is going to possibly prove they have the right to charge the fees,interest etc.
You can cease verbally all you want. But it needs to be in written.

The agency has to follow the settlement guidelines per the creditor since it is there debt. Your lucky that government hasnt taken your license,garnished wages or filed a judgement!

The dispute of validty of a debt is the same thing as consumer rights...Which only has to be on the first and only letter mailed from each company.

Either way you messed up and didnt pay the fines....Now you complain about all the fees etc attached because you didnt pay. WHY?