Complaint Review: Alliance One Receivables Management, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, May 02, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, October 26, 2008

• Reported By:Belmont California
Alliance One Receivables Management, Inc.
1160 Centre Pointe Drive. Ste#1 Mendota Heights, Minnesota U.S.A.

Alliance One Receivables Management, Inc. Unauthorized account draft Mendota Heights Minnesota

*Consumer Suggestion: No, they can't.

*Consumer Suggestion: You have no recourse.

Alliance One received my Capital One card for collection.
I made a good faith agreement with Peter January of Alliance One to draw $935 from my account on 4/29/08, with the understanding that if I could not meet that, I would call and he would adjust the amount. I called him on 4/28/08, and told him that I could only authorize a draft of $200. When he wanted to speak about the balance, I explained to him that I was quite concerned and focused on my mother's brain surgery, which was scheduled for the 30th. My concern was that I was not thinking clearly enough about this to make a good decision regarding payments. He agreed to adjust the draw to $200, and said he would call back in a week or so to discuss the remainder.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my bank balance and found that he drew the $935 anyway, which, because I called in to change it, was an unauthorized draft. I now do not have enough money to pay my rent. I have called him several times, have left messages, and have not received a call back.

I made my agreement with him in good faith. He agreed to adjust my draft to $200, which was quite obviously NOT done in good faith

Do Not under any circumstances agree to work with these people if there is the slightest possibility that you will be compromised. Do Not put yourself in the same situation as I did. They do not keep their word.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what recourse I have.
Thank you.

Belmont, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2008 10:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alliance-One-Receivables-Management-Inc/Mendota-Heights-Minnesota-55120/Alliance-One-Receivables-Management-Inc-Unauthorized-account-draft-Mendota-Heights-Minne-330114. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alliance One Receivables Management, Inc.

#1 Consumer Suggestion

No, they can't.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

The collection company can't just debit an account willy-nilly. They have to be able to back up the authorization with a recording of the account holder authorizing the transaction. If the collector can't provide that recording, I would think you can sue, and probably on a contingency basis if the lawyer believes you that you never authorized the transaction.

Two things could have happened with the original check. Either you are dealing with a dishonest collector who needed the money to make his quota, or it was a mistake. He could have made the change and then left the screen without saving the change.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a recording of the conversation of you changing the check amount, it is your word against theirs, unless the collector typed the conversation into the hardnotes and left the check on anyway.

I would bet that alliance one runs multiple tens of thousands of checks each day. What company has never made a billing error? If it was in error, they should try to correct it. If it was an honest mistake then there would be documentation of the call in their uneditable notes of you changing the pmt to $200. Alliance one should also have a recording of them and you authorizing the new payment of $200.

If they aren't returning your calls about it then you are probably dealing with a bad apple.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

You have no recourse.

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

You foolishly believed that a collection agency employee was honorable and would do what he said he would do. They NEVER do. NEVER speak with a collection agency employee. Require them to put everything in writing.

Sorry, but it will be a long time without funds. I would change my checking account immediately. They can continue to debit your account since they have your information.