Complaint Review: Alliance One

• Submitted: Fri, August 10, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, October 26, 2008

• Reported By:Flint Michigan
Alliance One
930 Blue Gentian Road Egan, Minnesota U.S.A.

Alliance One Using shame tatics to make me contact them and giving out my personal information Ripoff Egan Minnesota

*Consumer Suggestion: About the address..

*Consumer Suggestion: Debt and divorce

*UPDATE Employee: Here's how it is

*UPDATE Employee: Here's how it is

Trisa somehow found the phone numbers for my ex-husband who I divorced 11 years ago and the number for his elderly parents. His parents aways hated me. Even after telling her we had been divorced for many years, she gave my ex-husband my current address and asked him to leave me a note in my mail box with her information. Problem is when I divorced him I had a Restraining Order to keep him away from me fearing for my life. He never knew where I lived until she told him then he showed up on my door-step very angry about her calling him and his parents after all these years. He told me he and his parents knew she was calling from a collection agency. She also asked him questions about my son and if he had his work number. She already called my son on his cell phone...why does she need to harass him at his work for my debt. So now this nut case knows where I live and I will have to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure he's not trying to harm me. This is where the shame comes in, having people who are not supposed to know anything about you, that make a point to tell her they haven't seen me in many years, being forced by her to gain knowledge of my poor financial affairs, when I want these people to think you I'm doing great.
My current husband and I do not live together. We have an Order of Separate Maintenance signed by a judge saying we are each responsible for our own debts that are in our individual names. These debts are to include those obtained before and during the marriage. The one exception to this is usually federal or state taxes for joint returns. This type of Judgment is very rare. I guess Trisa is a former Judge or Lawyer in Michigan because she says this order means nothing and that even though my husband did not co-sign on the credit card and the card is in my name only he is still responsible for my credit card debt and she can continue to telephone him and give him my financial and personal information, as well as try to force him to pay the debt.
I have just today filed a complaint with the Michigan Attorney General. There are laws to protect consumers and this collection agency can't just walk all over my rights.

Carolyn
Flint, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/10/2007 08:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alliance-One/Egan-Minnesota-55121/Alliance-One-Using-shame-tatics-to-make-me-contact-them-and-giving-out-my-personal-informa-266724. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alliance One

#1 Consumer Suggestion

About the address..

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

The collector probably just tried to verify the address on file as a valid address for you, if you were receiving and not responding to letters from the collector. Did you report the restraining order violation against your ex when he showed up?

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Debt and divorce

AUTHOR: Maire - (U.S.A.)

First of all, having been through a divorce, "separate maintenance" etc means nothing, she's probably right about that. They don't care who got the bill in the divorce, or who's name it was in to begin with, or anything else. They will pursue you both. In my experience, they'll go after whichever one of you they think is more solvent, regardless of who ran up the debt. It sucks, I don't disagree, but according to my lawyer, it's perfectly legal. Mind you this was nearly ten years ago, but yeah, I think they can go after either one of you.

But giving out your personal info to a third party? I'm not so sure about that. It doesn't sound quite kosher to me.

You should have your atty send this Trisa a copy of the restraining order ASAP. And you should make sure that any other creditors, and anyone who might be trying to contact you, gets a copy of it too. They probably won't give a d***, but I would do it anyway, just so there's proof that they knew they were endangering you by giving out your address, etc.

Here's how it is

AUTHOR: Monopolyman - (U.S.A.)

Debt collectors have every right to call third parties to try to find you. If you owe money, we need to get ahold of you obviously. If you make yourself hard to find, people have to go to other means to find you.
Meaning we can call anyone and try to find you to discuss your debt.
Honestly, Its not our fault that your ex husband and his family are smart enough to know that you owe money and that is why we are calling you.
As for your "shame and embarrassment" get real. Its not like the collector disclosed any information about your debt. People figured it out. Perhaps if you pay your bills, you won't be so embarrassed.
As for your husband's involvement. He may either be a co-debtor, meaning he was an authorized user, OR if he was your spouse when you had the card, likely it's on his credit too.
Your rights weren't violated. You think just because you are ashamed of your debt and someone found out that your rights were violated. Sorry, I know the laws very well and if nothing was disclosed it's really not our problem, it's your problem. Sorry.

Here's how it is

AUTHOR: Monopolyman - (U.S.A.)

Meaning we can call anyone and try to find you to discuss your debt.