Complaint Review: Alliance One

• Submitted: Thu, September 11, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, October 26, 2008

• Reported By:Bowling Green, Kentucky
Alliance One
411 Eagleview Blvd Suite 109 Exton, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Alliance One company called me wanting me to locate a neighbor and pass on information Exton Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: An FDCPA view on this.

Today I received a "no data" call on my home phone line from a person named Abdul with Alliance One. He asked if this was the Howell residence and wanted to speak with _____ (called me by my name). I informed him that I was speaking and he told me his name was Abdul and he was with Alliance One and that he actually was trying to reach a neighbor of mine named Nicki ______ (last name) at _______ (address across the street from me). He then asked if I knew Nicki and seemed surprised that I "did not know my neighbors"? He then proceeded to ask me if I could leave a note on the door at the address of Nicki. I asked him again who he was and what this was about and why he was calling ME? He stated that the contact information that he had for Nicki was not working and that when he did a search for Nicki that my name/address came up. I told him that was a lie, that if he did a search for Nicki he would not have gotten my information and that I knew that he had done a search on the street address and was calling someone that he thought was on the same street. I again told him that I thought all of this was very weird and strange and he said maybe he was not explaining himself very well. I responded that maybe he was not. Silence----then he said "hello" and I said Yes? and again he stated maybe he was not explaining himself very well and that this was an important matter and that he needed to reach Nicki. I informed him that today was not his lucky day and that I was not going to leave a "note" for anyone and not to call my number back and that I would be filing a report on his company. Once I googled this company name I found all of this bad publicity against this company.

What can I do to keep them from calling me? This is a first time call that I have received and I did look up their website and called the number on there to inform the person on the other end that I had better not receive any more calls from this company, to which, the women on the other end of the line, wanted me to give her my name, phone number, etc. and I informed her that I was not going to give her any information that I only wanted her to know that I was filing a company with the attorney general and of course that is when I heard the click of her hanging up.

how are collection (I assume that is what they are) companies allowed to call persons with the same street address as someone that owes them?

What can be done about this? Please advise.

Dianne
Bowling Green,, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2008 07:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alliance-One/Exton-Pennsylvania-19398/Alliance-One-company-called-me-wanting-me-to-locate-a-neighbor-and-pass-on-information-Ext-372137. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alliance One

#1 Consumer Suggestion

An FDCPA view on this.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately, this practice is not federally banned. There are only two states where a message is not supposed to be left with a third party: Minnesota and Wisconsin. That is because the States themselves banned it. After thirty days of non-contact at listed numbers for a debtor, they can "skip" the account. There are online subscription databases that will give names, numbers, and addresses for relatives, neighbors, and associates. It is completely legal to try and get a message to them using these means.

The good news is that any number that is not listed to the debtor's residence can be ceased verbally. That includes cellphone and work phone numbers that are valid for the debtor. Also, collectors are only supposed to leave a message on a third-party's machine or with a third-party once.

The thing about calling a collection company back to have them remove your number is that, well, you HAVE to give them your number or how else do you expect them to look it up in order to take it out? They already have your name and number and aren't looking to get money from you, so just verify with them that you don't want to be contacted because you don't know the debtor and your name will be taken out.

Aside: Phone numbers get listed on credit bureau reports, associated with Social Security numbers. So if you are unfortunate enough to get the old number of a person who has defaulted on many debts to many people, then many collection companies will be calling you. You just have to tell them you don't know the debtor and you think you must have their old phone number and ask them to take your number out of their system.