Complaint Review: Allianz Global Assistance

• Reported By: Fred — Shoreline Washington United States of America
Allianz Global Assistance
PO Box 72031 Richmond, Virginia United States of America

Allianz Global Assistance failure to honor legitimate claim Richmond, Virginia

*Author of original report: Allianz claim denial for trip interruption

*UPDATE Employee: Jackie, Help Team

During a prepaid, self-conducted tour of Iceland, My wife and I encountered an Arctic storm on May 14th, 2012, blocking our departure from Husavik to Egilsstader.  We had no options other than to leave our car in Husavik which terminated our car rental agreement, take a flight to Reykjavik, and initiate a new car rental agreement.  The situation (1) prevented our use of two consecutive prepaid vouchers for Egilsstader and Skaftafell, (2) required purchase of air travel from Husavik to Reykjavik, (3) required a new car rental for the remainder of our stay, (4) required alternate lodging for two nights prior to resumption of our prepaid itinerary.

We submitted a claim to insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance under the provisions in our policy including:

"Trip cancelation and interruption protection: (Compensation will include interruptions from) -- bad weather resulting in the complete cessation of services by the tour operator for at least 24 consecutive hours.." - Denied because "cancellation of services by a travel supplier was not the cause of your loss..".  In fact, Avis recommended cancellation at Husavik because continuation of the itinerary was impossible.  As we were on a prepaid itinerary of (as Allianz concedes) a tour, I was the tour operator.

"Travel delay coverage: Coverage for ---reasonable additional accommodation and traveling expenses  (including) carrier caused delay (including bad weather).."  -  Denied by Allianz because I was not a common carrier.

"Missed connection coverage:  Reasonable additional transportation and accommodation expenses needed to reach your destination from being delayed by bad weather while en route to a departure provided the car was scheduled to arrive at the point of departure at least two hours before the scheduled time of departure.. ."  - Denied because I was not on (sic) route to a departure; policy did not define point of departure which in this case was the road to Egilsstader  and closed for 48 hours.

No contact was made by Allianz for clarification of details prior to sending their refusal.  At least the first point above (and likely the remainder) qualifies us for compensation.  The policy was purchased with the understanding that such unavoidable changes of prepaid arrangements would be covered.  One shouldn't need a lawyer to interpret such a policy to avoid such bait and switch tactics.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/04/2012 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allianz-Global-Assistance/Richmond-Virginia-232255-203/Allianz-Global-Assistance-failure-to-honor-legitimate-claim-Richmond-Virginia-936769. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allianz Global Assistance

Allianz claim denial for trip interruption

AUTHOR: Fred Utter - (United States of America)

I have responded to Allianz as follows:

Hi, Fred
Jackie from the Help Team here.  Were sorry to hear that your tour of Iceland was interrupted by an Arctic
storm.  Can you please send your information one more time, including your policy number and all specified documentation, to help.team@allianzassistance.com? Someone from our customer service team will be in touch with you to further discuss soon.

Regards,
Jackie, Help Team

In response to the message above, I am attaching my full policy plus claim forms and receipts.  Please note that the policy was purchased through my travel agency to cover such trip interruptions as I experienced for
a prepaid and self-conducted tour.  The fact that I was never contacted by telephone or email for possible
clarifications prior to receiving the letter of claim denial leads me to believe that Allianz is guided by profit to the detriment of customer service.  Your renewed interest encourages me that I may be wrong.

Sincerely,
FRED UTTER
206 685-8196 (work)
206 364-5058 (home)

Jackie, Help Team

AUTHOR: Access America Help Team - (USA)

Hi, Fred

Jackie from the Help Team here.  Were sorry to hear that your tour of Iceland was interrupted by an Arctic storm.  Can you please send your information one more time, including your policy number and all specified documentation, to help.team@allianzassistance.com? Someone from our customer service team will be in touch with you to further discuss soon.

Regards,