Complaint Review: Allianz Travel insurance

• Submitted: Sun, December 30, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, January 16, 2013

• Reported By: joe — Southborough Massachusetts United States of America
Allianz Travel insurance

Allianz Travel insurance Warning! Do not use if you've had any health issues in previous 6 months Internet

*Author of original report: Thank You Orbitz

*UPDATE Employee: Allianz Global Assistance Response

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Orbitz

If you are buying airline tickets on Orbitz or other Internet based sites, be very careful if you are considering buying travel insurance.  I purchased insurance for 4 air tickets because I was concerned about not being able to take the week off work.  However, I ended up having a detached retina that required surgery.

It was the second eye issue I had within 6 months, although my eye surgeon told me they were 2 separate issues.  Needless to say, Allianz Travel Insurance (the provider from Orbitz) was unwilling to listen to my case and did not refund ANY, even a portion of my money. So, not only did I loose $1,600 in airline tickets, but I also lost approx $100 in insurance - a total rip off.

My eye issue was described to me as if you broke your left arm 6 months ago, then fell and broke your shoulder - although they were on the same part of the body, they were 2 separate issues - According to Allianz, there was a history of pre-condition, therefore no refund, no negotiation, no discussion.

I have been in the travel business for 14 years, and I fully understand that Insurance companies are there to make money, but their complete lack of willingness to have a manager discuss the issue with me has forced me to write this warning.  I will never purchase travel insurance via an online company again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2012 08:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allianz-Travel-insurance/internet/Allianz-Travel-insurance-Warning-Do-not-use-if-youve-had-any-health-issues-in-previous-988915. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allianz Travel insurance

AUTHOR: joecali - (United States of America)

After posting this problem, I was contacted by a representative from Orbitz (Jeanna) who asked me to call her and explain the situation.  After hearing what happened she offered to try to help me recover some of the money I had spent on my airline tickets.  She then contacted Delta, and was able to get me a refund on my ticket purchase. I cant thank Orbitz and Delta enough for listening and understanding my situation.  They have won me over as a customer - because they actually listened and did the right thing.

Thank you again to Jeanna and the nice people at both companies.

Allianz Global Assistance Response

AUTHOR: Sarah - (United States of America)

Hi, Joe

Sarah from the Help Team at Allianz Global Assistance. I am very sorry that your claim was not resolved to your satisfaction and that the response from our associates did not meet your expectations.
In this public forum I am unable to collect your personal information to understand the exact
details of your case, but should you have additional questions on the outcome
of your claim, or if youd like to get a better understanding of the policy you
purchased, please call our customer service line at 1-800-419-8016.

Once again, we apologize we were unable to cover you in your situation.

Regards,

Sarah, Help Team

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Orbitz

AUTHOR: Custrelsgal - (U.S.A.)

Hi Joe,
My name is Jeanna, and I am part of the Orbitz Customer Relations Team. We want to learn more about your experience so that we can address the issue. Please email us at socialnetwork@orbitz.com and enter my name in the subject line, so that I can investigate further.

Thank you for your patience, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,